Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pat
Pat
USER since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 675 Posts
4/16/18 @ 10:52 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Edited on 4/16/18 1:54 PM
Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 9:16 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Picking quota numbers for  antlerless tags before winter is even over. No thought whatsoever to winter severity ,and almost no thought used whatsoever by our WDNR.

Edited on 4/16/18 11:33 AM
Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 7:08 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

Actually the proposed number of anterless tags for Forest Co. is 2900. Yes I agree the last month of winter has not been mild at all up there. A week and a half ago there was between 24" and 29" of snow on the ground by our cabin in Forest Co. and I know there was more to the west.

Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 10:46 AM
Huck 34
Huck 34
USER since 12/26/02
I sure hope that our leaders consider the final weeks of winter before they handout 1000 antler-less tags in this neck of the woods! 

Post Your Comment
3/24/18 @ 7:36 AM
daleracefan
daleracefan
USER since 3/27/02

Up by Long Lake last weekend had all all of 15” with a crust on top. We didn’t see may deer last season the way it was! Long winter!

Post Your Comment
3/19/18 @ 7:36 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

Forest County from at least Laona north has a good 15" of snow left as of 3/19/18 with a thick crust when the temps are below freezing which has been quite often lately. The few deer we are seeing are having a tough time with the crust when it is frozen. Snow is melting but very slowly, need some rain and 50 degrees. I don't know how the Southern part of the county is doing but it is turning out to be a long winter up here.

Post Your Comment
3/15/18 @ 9:39 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Forest co. should be good this year .There is very little snow now. Just a few inches. Price co. still has about 16". 

Post Your Comment
3/6/18 @ 4:09 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

The predator pit our WDNR designed is working exactly as planned. Two legged hunters are not needed. 

Post Your Comment
3/5/18 @ 9:12 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

I wouldn't believe what the DNR is saying about the deer having a mild winter up north. I took about a 30 mile ride through the National Forest East of Laona today and seen very very few deer tracks. One thing I could not believe was the amount of wolf tracks I seen, they were all over. Lots of piles of wolf crap all full of deer hair. Took a little snow shoe walk and found a fresh wolf kill of a probably 3 year old buck that had lost its antlers. There is close to 18" of snow with a thick crust from the rain a few weeks ago. Crust is thick enough the wolves and coyotes are mostly walking on top so its easy pickings for them after the deer right now. Years ago the deer trails were like cow paths in this area, now the most deer tracks are close to cabins. I thought the deer population was coming back the last couple years but this is the least amount of deer sign I have ever seen in this area in the winter.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 10:01 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
Our group of about a dozen guys(about 8 serious) shot 3 nice mature bucks. A huge 6 nice 8 and big 10. The guy with the 8 saw 14 deer including 5 bucks in 2/12 days of hunting. The guy with the nice 6 pt saw 3 bucks in a little over a day hunting, missed one passed one and shot the 3rd.We had two guys miss nice bucks and a handfull of passes on smaller ones. It looks like things have improved greatly where we hunted in Southern forest Co. Some areas were loaded with rubs scrapes and tracks. I hope they keep the doe harvest quota low or better yet none. I'll try to post some pics in the next day or so(I have an old flip phone).

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 675 Posts