SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

food plots

4/26/09 @ 7:19 AM
INITIAL POST
cm79
User since 5/26/08
I'm thinking about putting a food plot on public land, I want to do it all using hand tools there are alot of seeds that claim no till, just wanted to know if you guys have any good brands to look at.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 786 posts
1/11/20 @ 8:32 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

For the guys that use skid steers for food plots: If you could have 2 attachments for food plotting, what would they be? I’m looking at maybe a grapple root rake and maybe some kind of brush cutter or mower. Keep in mind I’m breaking new ground and any big stumps/rocks that need to come out will be removed with a dozer. The root rakes seem very useful for breaking ground, removing debris, hauling brush. A mower might be great for keeping trails open. Thoughts?

11/27/17 @ 3:58 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

As soon as the snow flies this bean field should start getting hit.  5 acres and it is loaded with pods. 

Took this picture yesterday as I was getting some of the cameras set for the post hunting season inventory. 

9/19/17 @ 8:53 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

That's the plan SJB, time will tell! Hopefully you can do the same, good luck!

9/18/17 @ 9:56 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Welderguy - I would call that success.  Now if you are able to harvest a mature buck off of that, even better.

Last night was our (12 yo son and I) first hunt out.  We had 10 deer come to our 1/4 acre FP.  No horns, but I would say all the work we put in is yielding results  So a very successful hunt. 

9/18/17 @ 9:32 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Well the food plot seems to be doing it's job!  

9/12/17 @ 5:05 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13

Looking to clear some land next year to put in a food plot which is already about 1/3 of an acre in size, but looking to make it a little larger about a 1/2 to 3/4 so I'm able to put some soybeans or just a bigger plot to hold more deer. I was wondering what a reasonable price would be to clear about a 1/2 acre of 2 to 3 inch a round trees? 

8/25/17 @ 6:06 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

My plot so far, planted 2 weeks ago with rye and oats. 

food plots photo by WelderGuy
8/23/17 @ 7:57 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

Hey Perchin  You should still be able to get in Oats and/or Winter Rye with no problems. You could even broadcast brassicas on top. They probably won't get to full maturity but that's okay, you will have some green when the frost hits.

8/22/17 @ 7:50 PM
perchin1989
perchin1989
User since 9/14/15
Terribly busy the past 2 months, took time to kill weeds but haven't tilled yet. Should I just forget about plots this year or is there anything anyone reccomends to plant this late that will be worthwhile? Thanks in advance.
8/17/17 @ 8:49 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

In 7 weeks, this is what my sorghum screening looks like. about 3 ft. tall. not sure if it should be taller or not. blasted that with Fertilizer also.

food plots photo by splitG2
8/17/17 @ 8:36 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

Here are 2 of my plots planted 7/15. Both are no till plots just under 1/4 ac. a pc. Just used an ATV and a drag I fabricated. Cultipacked with ATV. They have brassicas, radishes, clover, oats. Forecast for rain yesterday so went up and broadcast winter rye and fertilizer (46-0-0) into the plots just before the rain hit.

food plots photo by splitG2
8/16/17 @ 9:19 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Casey, I used an old school metal lawn roller pulled behind the 4 wheeler after spreading the seed. I'm still gathering my implements and haven't found a cultipacker yet. I thought I'd be able to find an old one kinda cheap but that hasn't been the case. I was hoping not to have to spend $600-$800 on a cultipacker that I will only use for a couple hrs a year. I'll keep searching or possibly make one for next year. 

8/16/17 @ 11:00 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Nice looking plot welder-- what type of drag or cultipacker did you use?? Hope Mother Nature is good to us food plotters!! With all the summer rain I hope she has some rain left in her!!! Nice work and good luck!!

8/14/17 @ 8:23 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Got the food plot planted over the weekend, planted 3/4 of it in rye and the rest in oats. Also put in a 40 gallon stock tank for a water hole. Originally it didn't call for rain til Thursday but I've been keeping an eye on the weather and now it shows rain showers this evening, perfect!  Pumped for huntin season!

food plots photo by WelderGuy
8/11/17 @ 7:50 PM
lilnacks
lilnacks
User since 3/6/02

Here's an update.   Looks like they hit it pretty hard.   I guess they liked the smartgrass.   There are still beet bulbs left so hopefully they keep growing.   Gonna go bigger next year. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 786 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE