food plots

4/26/09 @ 7:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
cm79
cm79
USER since 5/26/08
I'm thinking about putting a food plot on public land, I want to do it all using hand tools there are alot of seeds that claim no till, just wanted to know if you guys have any good brands to look at.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 820 Posts
8/17/17 @ 8:49 AM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07

In 7 weeks, this is what my sorghum screening looks like. about 3 ft. tall. not sure if it should be taller or not. blasted that with Fertilizer also.

Post Your Comment
8/17/17 @ 8:36 AM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07

Here are 2 of my plots planted 7/15. Both are no till plots just under 1/4 ac. a pc. Just used an ATV and a drag I fabricated. Cultipacked with ATV. They have brassicas, radishes, clover, oats. Forecast for rain yesterday so went up and broadcast winter rye and fertilizer (46-0-0) into the plots just before the rain hit.

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 9:19 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

Casey, I used an old school metal lawn roller pulled behind the 4 wheeler after spreading the seed. I'm still gathering my implements and haven't found a cultipacker yet. I thought I'd be able to find an old one kinda cheap but that hasn't been the case. I was hoping not to have to spend $600-$800 on a cultipacker that I will only use for a couple hrs a year. I'll keep searching or possibly make one for next year. 

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 11:00 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Nice looking plot welder-- what type of drag or cultipacker did you use?? Hope Mother Nature is good to us food plotters!! With all the summer rain I hope she has some rain left in her!!! Nice work and good luck!!

Post Your Comment
8/14/17 @ 8:23 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

Got the food plot planted over the weekend, planted 3/4 of it in rye and the rest in oats. Also put in a 40 gallon stock tank for a water hole. Originally it didn't call for rain til Thursday but I've been keeping an eye on the weather and now it shows rain showers this evening, perfect!  Pumped for huntin season!

Post Your Comment
8/11/17 @ 7:50 PM
lilnacks
lilnacks
USER since 3/6/02

Here's an update.   Looks like they hit it pretty hard.   I guess they liked the smartgrass.   There are still beet bulbs left so hopefully they keep growing.   Gonna go bigger next year. 

Post Your Comment
8/8/17 @ 1:09 PM
woodturner
woodturner
USER since 2/12/04

lilnacks,

Plant in picture 3 is probably Pennsylvania smartweed.

Post Your Comment
8/8/17 @ 9:20 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Sarona, that is impressive.  A lot of work, time, and money.  

I am in a similar boat.  I do plant about two acres of plots a year, and invest money in fertilizer, lime, fuel, and back breaking labor.  However, I don't have more than 12 hours into working up the plots.  With baiting, I am baiting 3 days a week during most of bow season and have no baits within 3/4 of a mile from the road all on public land.  When I hunt I carry a backpack with my clothes, bait, bow, and climbing stand.  I go through a pair of Irish Setter rubber boots every other year.  In comparison, my plot work is easy.  Once I have it planted, I simply walk out to my stand which already is in the tree.  Same type of land as you, no ag fields and tough hunting without some sort of a food source, especially when there are no acorns.  It would be nice to own a large tract of land to manage food plots in the deep woods, but the wallet and wife say no way.

Post Your Comment
7/31/17 @ 7:31 PM
lilnacks
lilnacks
USER since 3/6/02

Here's my small food plot that I planted in  spring.  I had a chicken wire fence over the top that I just took off this past weekend so the plants had time to grow.   Does anyone know what the plant is with the long , thin, spear/willow like leaves in the 3rd picture? The deer were eating it as it grew through the fence.  The stalk looks segmented.  I planted radishes, beets, kale, broccoli, kohlrabi, okra, Brussels sprouts chard, rutabaga and probably some other things.   Also pictured is a persimmon that made it through last winter in northeast WI.

Edited on 7/31/17 8:12 PM
Post Your Comment
7/31/17 @ 4:49 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

We use Clethodim as a grass selective herbicide.  Needs to be used with crop oil like Dakota as well.  We don't use too much of it, as it is more expensive than glyphosate.  Try to use roundup, rotation/timing of other crops, mowing, etc to our advantage to not have to rely on it too much. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 820 Posts