Food plot planning

5/21/18 @ 9:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

I'm planning on planting a food plot in the corner of my lot that I'll be building on next year. The lot is about 4.5 acres of field and 4.6 acres of woods. I'm thinking of putting the food plot in the back corner of the field and putting up a stand in this corner. Then planting trees around the plot to build up the wooded portion of my land to about 5.5 acres total. My primary focus will be whitetail and turkey for hunting.

My questions are: 1. How big of a food plot to go with? 2. Do you plant the same thing every year or change it up, I've heard it depends on the farmer's crops in the area. 3. Do you manage a food plot as you would a garden, or let nature take its course once it is planted? 4. Does shape of the plot make that much of a difference? 5. Would a small pond next to the food plot be beneficial? I will probably need fill to build and there is no major water source within about 3 miles.

I probably won't plant the plot this year, but want to get it plowed up so I can plan out where to put the trees since it'd be nice to get those in this summer. I grew up hunting a swamp so we never dealt with food plots, it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 54 Posts
10/15/18 @ 8:17 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

Planted my first food plot this August. Hunted it for the first time last night.

Holy freaking crap.

If you don't currently have a plot, my advice is to get yo self some bib overalls and a straw hat cuz brother it's time to be a farmer.

I had to postpone my organ enlargement surgery so I could afford the lime & seed, but it was worth it.

Post Your Comment
9/7/18 @ 8:28 AM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07

I planted my brassicas at the end of July. But together a mix from the feed store of forage brassicas, turnups, rape, kale, & sugar beets. 2 of my plots didn't look like they were doing well but on further review of cam video shows the deer are hammering them. On monday I planted a combo of oats, winter wheat, & winter rye next to every brassica plot so the deer got their salad and their grains.

Edited on 9/7/18 8:37 AM
Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 11:34 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Out of the 14 food plots in four different hunting spots, 2 are under water as we speak.  Usually in fall, these are dry areas, but simply could not absorb the amount of water we have seen.  Both WERE planted in brassicas, but must assume they are drowned out. 

So will go back and replant.  Thinking winter wheat and oats.  Anything else I should be considering?  Hopefully if no rain this week, get in there about next weekend. 

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 6:34 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Way too wet for 4 wheeler last weekend . Now I would need a Jon boat . The oats/ wheat on higher ground looked good . Wish I would have planted more .

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 11:36 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

Yup, Kale there One Shot.

Kale is like the chubby '6' chick at the party.

When all the young bucks are chasing that overpriced Whitetail Institute, Tecomate, Imperial fancy mix, the big racked bullwinkles stroll in, spy that chubby 6 and know that she's the one that's gonna make 'em breakfast in the morning.

I got a half acre of chubby 6's with their aprons on ready to go as soon as the frost comes.

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 11:25 AM
Quester
Quester
USER since 1/28/07

I totally agree with  S.S.ESOX, he knows his food plots!

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 7:05 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04

Agreed skip the brassicas at this point.    Too late to get any real growth.     Cereal grains like winter rye oats peas wheat are your friend now.   

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 3:32 PM
s.s esox
s.s esox
USER since 12/22/14

SJB, Its getting late for Brassicas, I would plant winter rye, winter wheat and winter peas and clover. Your timing should be good. That stuff greens up right away and should remain lush, green and tasty for hunting season. It will provide food first thing in the spring also. You'll also have a head start on a clover plot for next year. I consider clover to be the best all season food plot there is.

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 8:13 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04

Its closer to normal but still not standing water everywhere.    This is a picture of 8 day old winter rye.    

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 8:35 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

How's the swamp looking after all the rain? We hunt a swamp in the Peshtigo area, was hoping we'd get the ATV back there for the first time in years to do some tree stand repairs but I'm assuming its back up to normal levels after all the rain.

50'x50' food plot was waaaay too small. Clover and rape grass barely have time to grow before it's being eaten. At least it's been keeping the deer around like I had hoped though.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 54 Posts