Finding Hunting Spots

10/24/15 @ 3:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ForsbergFotos
ForsbergFotos
USER since 10/24/15
Looking to get back into hunting, but moved to Port Washington a couple years ago and have no clue where the public lands are. DNR website is of little use, shows some areas but most info is on who owns the land not what is allowed there. Just hoping someone has advice on a simpler research option. I really want to get out and harvest some squirrels might just end up driving an hour back to the area where I used to live
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
10/27/15 @ 9:29 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
USER since 6/8/07
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/PAL/application.html Very useful mapping application for hunting public lands. I have found some great spots

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 2:36 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Get a plat book for the counties in your area. That's all we ever used to find public land back when I was small game hunting.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 9:17 AM
ForsbergFotos
ForsbergFotos
USER since 10/24/15
Ordered the state map book on DVD got the freehuntingland.com subscription, total waste of money Couldn't find anywhere to order the Roger B's book, at least anything current. Might look into that app if the state maps don't help much. Did hit some land outside of random lake and the northern Kettle moraine section. Got out a little late and didn't see anything but chipmunks and tons of birds. Still was a great day to spend outside enjoying nature

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 9:05 AM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
Gazettes are nice too if you are looking for public ground.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 7:07 AM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Another option are the "Roger B's" books of public hunting lands. They have them for all regions of the State. Kind of like the "Fishing Hotspots" books for hunting.

Post Your Comment
10/25/15 @ 5:15 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
As posted a current plat book for the neighboring counties is very helpful. The hour drive back to known spots isn't that bad either.

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 3:33 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
OnX hunt map app for phone. 30 dollars well spent. Covers the whole state. Gives private and public land info. Acres, tax address ect. Sounds alot for an app but it's well worth it. It covers one year subscription. You can even download a 7 day free trial if you are hesitant

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 1:27 PM
--Scooter--
--Scooter--
USER since 8/8/09
A lot of books on where public land is. Spend a little to get a lot.

A plat book is really good also. Small investment for hunting/fishing

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 5:33 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
I used to live down that way as well- if I were to try to find squirrels living near Port Washington, I would look at the Northern Kettle Moraine Forest. Lots of land and lots of hardwoods.

Post Your Comment