Doe Shooting (Experience/Caution)

12/17/14 @ 3:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I probably should have posted this prior to the gun season but I didn't get to it. Many people have posted how they need to shoot a bunch of does as they have too many and see 30+ in a field,(not my call) but I wanted to share some first hand experience. In 1982 I got a job in Sauk County, at that time it was easy to find a place to hunt if you asked. I hunted with a family I met on a large farm. The normal routine was everyone would sit until noon and then the father of the family who did not hunt anymore would drive through the property (fields) with a pick up truck and pick up deer that had been shot. So here is a summary of what I saw, I did kill a buck every year I hunted there. Back then we didn't have QDM but we always killed a few nice ones as there were enough deer that we didn't kill them all. 1982 - I saw 81 deer opening day 1983 - I saw 72 deer opening day (This is the year the doe shooting started) 1984 - I saw 54 deer opening day 1985 - I saw 4 deer opening day 1986 - I saw 3 deer opening day (At this point the group said no more shooting does. In 1987 a job change, and the property owner in Sauk County passed away so things changed and I moved to the NE part of the State so I started hunting Marinette County. Long Story short but Marinette County used to have a bunch of deer too but did the same large amount of doe killing, but now you hear stories of people hunting there and not seeing any deer.I still have friends in Sauk County and the herd has come back in some areas but it is spotty, (Poor in some areas, Okay in others). My good buddy who I used to hunted with still hunts there and never saw a deer this year. So what's my point. My point is to all of you who think you have too many deer and need to kill a bunch of does is to proceed with caution. The numbers above show what happens. When you break down how many fawns 1 doe has and calculate how many more fawns will be produced you can see that in a 3 year period 1 doe can (best case) produce 10 deer. So that is also saying if you have 10 deer in a field, that if you had shot that 1 doe three years earlier you MAY have zero. The bottom line is does have fawns,if you eliminate the doe you will not have fawns. When we hunted in Sauk County we thought we had too many deer and it was an endless supply, but we learned different. So think about it a bit before you kill too many. Sad
Edited on 12/17/14 3:59 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
12/22/14 @ 4:20 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
killem all they kill people every day

Post Your Comment
12/22/14 @ 8:34 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
GreatOutdoors, stop being so logical.

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 12:00 PM
USER since 5/12/09
Geez, drone use in deer hunting and now food plots. I will try and tip toe around the strong opinions so I don't have to face the slings and arrows of those folks. One fellow stated that the WDNR has pushed unsportsmanlike conduct during deer hunting. One year just after the first discovery of CWD I read the regs for that year. It was written so that you cold not violate the deer regs. To add to that the doe tags were free and came off a very large roll. In my area (my land) I have an over abundance of poachers, violators, an some who are unique. They shoot their "meat" in the area and then hunt bucks on their propery. I have tried to co operate with our DNR and go along to get along. Their foolishness continued. After about 50 years of deer hunting I gave it up. Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas and have a great season next year.

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 10:51 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
Plumwerm, ignorant doe killing slobs are people who will kill regardless of the status of the local deer population and typically base their decisions based on a perceived need, a desire to kill, or just because they have the tags. These kinds of people are a problem, because they can keep the resource from recovering in areas.. They also usually don't put anything back into the resource either. I don't believe we would be included in that description. We use a lot of factors in determining out doe harvest target and a perceived need or number of tags available for free with license is not even a consideration for our group. After EAB got canned, we, along with most of our neighbors agreed to not shoot any does, did this for 3 years, and things came roaring back. Now, we are just trying to find the optimal balance and have been taking a conservative approach to it. It is just a different dynamic now. Many around us do not care to harvest does. Also, we have purchased some adjoining properties. Since our group enjoys venison, we have been taking the lead on trying to balance things out. If others around us shot more does, we would take less and be fine with it. A healthy local herd is our number 1 concern. Furthermore, we have been bringing in hunters for the late antlerless hunt that hunt areas of the state that can't responsibly handle a doe harvest and giving them the chance to get some does by us. One person who was up last weekend remarked that he had seen more deer on our place in the 3 days of hunting than he had over the previous 5 years. He went home happy with 2 does.

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 9:58 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Harvesting antlerless deer is fine.........given careful consideration and some conservation. All things the WDNR can and should learn. Doe killing slobs will shoot anything brown,as long as they have a tag ......with no consideration for the herd,for other hunters,or for the next year. Exactly the poor ethics the WDNR has been pushing for a decade now. You don't owe an explanation to anyone Great.

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 12:36 PM
plumwerm
plumwerm
USER since 3/25/10
Greatoutdoors, I was actually enjoying you post and interested in what you were saying. However, when you stated that you had just enjoyed you largest antlerless harvest ever and plan to do it again next year. Then a few lines later called other hunters "ignorant doe killing slobs" for harvesting antlerless deer, you showed your true colors.

Edited on 12/20/14 2:05 PM
Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 5:31 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
"You leave 20 acres of BAIT."

That just shows how clueless you are. Kind of amazing that on opening day of gun season, no one was sitting on all this bait. Do you know anything about soybeans? Guessing not, because that would be a terrible bait. Deer eat its leaves all summer, and by about the time bow season rolls around the leaves yellow off and the deer largely ignore it. Then, come about this time of year when we are done hunting they finish off the pods. If you had any grasp of the concept of bait, you would know that I picked a poor bait. We don't need that food for attractant, that land would all be agriculture we could hunt over all fall if we wanted. It is planted primarily for now through spring. I've got some winter rye in one of the bean fields also for early spring green up. Pretty effective to bait in March or April when the season is closed, isn't it? What about the couple hundred tree seeds I've got stratifying in my refrigerator now to start as seedlings soon and for my crew and my neighbors to plant this spring? Should I toss those in the trash as well, would that make you feel better? This stuff is fairly common in the area I hunt, and shockingly, hunter satisfaction is actually pretty good as well. If more people did what we are doing, hunting would be better statewide. Those that know me personally know that I am active in helping others improve their hunting as well. Even though my situation is rosy, I still contact the DNR and my representatives to weigh in on things that will positively affect hunters in other areas. I belong to a few sporting/conservation groups and contribute to them as well. My land is opened up for a learn to hunt program run by a local conservation group up there. I have people on LL message me about food plots and I try to give them as good as advice as possible as well as weighing in on the related forums. Some of the guys that hunt with me forward questions from their friends and coworkers about various habitat related things or management rules and I try to help them out as well. I am passionate about great deer hunting and healthy well balanced populations, so I feel no need to apologize for that.

Worry about your own hunting, mine is fine.

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 9:57 PM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
Haters gonna hate

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 9:45 PM
plumwerm
plumwerm
USER since 3/25/10
Wow Greatoutdoors, You leave 20 acres of BAIT. You had your greatest antlerless harvest ever and if you were "surrounded by a bunch of doe killing slobs" you would still be O.K. Classic.

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 4:49 PM
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
Sounds like you're raising cattle.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts