Deer drives

11/30/14 @ 11:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
koryo
koryo
USER since 11/30/14
Just a question, should a deer drive make as much noise as possible, or still hunt in the direction of those who are sitting? I may be wrong, but I personally think a drive as still hunting and not beating the bushes. Any suggestions? My Grandpa always said "the only thing a deer drive was good for was driving deer off the property." I should add that for the last 15 years I have only bow hunted, so even seeing a deer or taking a shot at a deer running all out 100-200 yards seems insane.
Edited on 11/30/14 5:48 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
12/1/14 @ 7:25 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
We do some drives and some stand hunting. Both are effective. We make the loud drives, but some other groups make silent ones. We use relatively close spacing between our drivers for the loud drives (50-100 yards), but I have heard of people using 200 yard spacing for the silent drives.

I often talk to hunters and former hunters. Many of them miss the drives because they were social and not as boring as a long sit in the stand.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 6:32 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
LOL Higgs... Thanks for the affirmation!

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 6:26 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I'm not a big fan of them at all. Personally, I find the idea of shooting at moving deer (other than a slow walk with a gun )to be irresponsible. I don't really care how "good " a person is at it or how much they practice....too much room for error in my opinion. Lots of stories of deer with missing legs or shot in rear being taken by other hunters. Our group has had our share of first hand experience cleaning up after the neighbors drives....deer with dangling legs and even a nubby with a slug hole through the bridge of his nose.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 6:18 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
USER since 6/15/01
Deer drives should never be done on public hunting areas. It is rude and complete BS that people ruin hunts for others. I had 2 guys wonder around me for almost 2 hours! And the lead guys kept stopping and staring at me, and this was about 50 yards away!

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 5:51 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Do you want the deer to run by at full speed, or stand up, look around, walk then stop along as they are pushed?

It depends on type of cover, how dense, exit routes and the setup. One thing often overlooked is wind/breeze direction. Ideally I want the 'pushers' to let their scent do most of the work. I also want standers in a position where the deer don't smell them as they go. If they do they very well may slip to the side.

This all means one shouldn't do the same drive every time, conditions and wind changes. Just drift some scent into thicker cover, deer will get up and exit at a speed that allows a good shot. At least a better chance than the hooping and hollering of yesteryear.

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 7:34 PM
Higgs
Higgs
USER since 1/14/13
More noise the better. Then other peeps also know ur comming threw

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 6:03 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Every year we post " stay safe", " have a safe hunt" .I hunted the Kettle Moraine north this weekend. There were drives all over, lots of shooting and lots of lead. The average number of shots were 4 or 5. This means they unloaded on a running deer. I ask,,,,, how safe is that??? BAng, bang, bang, bang, bang,,,,,,,,,,,,, bang bang, bang, bang. Is it hamburger yet, or are you missing altogether? If they hit the thing half the time they would have instant blood suasage. These guys can't possibly care about shot placement can they?? And there seems to be no way to instill a careful shot this way. SOme are careful, but I doubt it is the norm.

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 5:57 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
Puke

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 5:36 PM
budman1987
budman1987
USER since 1/19/03
If you have enough guys I like the slow and stealthy pace seems like when they get up they don't move quite as fast if only a few guys we usually make noise don't do many drives now that I'm a little older and wiser I'd rather sit and let the walkers push them to me drives can be productive but I feel they can be dangerous everytime I did a drive my heart would stop when I heard a shot of rather sit my stand for the day and let the impatient brush busters get em moving

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 4:07 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I quit hunting with our camp the second weekend because of the deer drives that they do. It's like everyone slammed a 6 pack, took a testosterone shot and watched a Rambo movie. And they aren't the meat-head, meat hunter type, at least not for the first few days. IQ isn't an issue. There's three PhD's and a couple of Bachelor's degrees between us. There's something about the pack mentality that brings out their worst. I still hunt my 40 or the in-law's farm the second weekend where it's quieter.

To answer the OP's question, noise and speed seem to confuse the deer the most. When I did stick around for the may lay, we found that the Blitzkrieg approach got them moving forward better than the quiet approach. They were more likely to sneak back around us if we tried to just do a slow push through the woods.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts