Box stand location hunting food plots

7/27/14 @ 8:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
steelieangler2
steelieangler2
USER since 7/19/09
Looking for some opinions, I hunt the northwoods and decided to put a small 1/2 acre food plot in a narrows of our fields, deer by us are very smart, was wondering where guys typically put there stands to not get busted on way out of stand? I see guys putting box stands right on the plot, how do you not bust the deer when exiting? Waiting till aways after dark? I did find a spot using terrain to hide me on the way in and out and out of the wind, shot would be 150yrds, just curious what other guys do. Thanks for any input, hoping for another cold rifle hunt to have bucks on there feet feeding early.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
8/4/14 @ 1:42 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
The specific location of the farm fields I was referring to is Section 32 T43N R4E- the township of Mercer, about 2 miles as the crow flies from "downtown" Mercer. It is where Martha Lake road makes a 90 degree bend. 27.01 acres of actively farmed land according to the USDA. They were harvesting hay there a few weeks ago.

There is a large dairy farm northwest of Mercer also. Freestall barns and a milking parlor. There is more active agriculture in the northwoods than one first thinks. Personally I was surprised when I started appraising farms there.

Post Your Comment
8/4/14 @ 1:30 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Edward-

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are farm field near Mercer too, if you know where to look. There is a little agriculture everywhere in the northwoods. It is still the northwoods.

Post Your Comment
7/31/14 @ 6:44 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
If the wind is right, you wait until complete darkness, and have a quiet way to get out, most of the deer will not even know your are there. If you are just rifle hunting it put your blind 100 yards away and you should have no problems. If you don't have deer coming to your food plots during day light you are over hunting and over pressuring the herd.

Post Your Comment
7/29/14 @ 8:06 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
There are farm Fields near eagle river, that makes it not the northwoods.

Post Your Comment
7/29/14 @ 12:11 PM
steelieangler2
steelieangler2
USER since 7/19/09
Well I'm around tomahawk, think it qualifies as northwoods lol. own 7 fortys haven't shot a doe in ten years, the deer do go in the plot during daylight , problem is getting in and out without being seen or winded thus my question... Or getting busted right away and making mature deer chances 0% after opening night, this is rifle hunting im worried about. Kinda made it up in my mind putting a stand 150 yards off plot where I could use hills as cover getting in and out.

Post Your Comment
7/29/14 @ 5:23 AM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
if you are in the northwoods, you won't be seeing any deer during daylight in the food plot anyways, they are already skittish and wary. you are better off setting up on trails leading to and from it.

we have had food plots of various sizes and locations on our property near Mercer for 15 years and have never seen a mature deer in the plot while hunting. you might get lucky during the rut or early season, but if you hunt right on it you do more harm than good. the deer will be hanging in the woods, waiting for it to get dark, and you'll be leaving about two hours before they were going to show up. many years of camera photos support this info. might be a different story if you are further east like eagle river or marinette, but that isn't really the northwoods anyways

Post Your Comment
7/28/14 @ 10:52 AM
steelieangler2
steelieangler2
USER since 7/19/09
I just don't want to bust the deer out of the plot opening night and have them skiddish/not come in till after dark remainder of the nine day. Guess I could try having somebody pick me up, thanks

Post Your Comment
7/28/14 @ 8:53 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
Either wait until after dark to get down or have a hunting partner come in and get you. If I am in a stand waiting and have no one coming to get me, I will quiver my arrow or unload my gun quietly and wait until I no longer see/hear any deer and try to sneak out. It really freaks the deer out if they know the threat was there the whole time. If they think you are just passing through, they don't care as much. Just can't be afraid of the dark.

Post Your Comment