Box Stand Legs 4x4 or multiple 2x4's?

8/18/15 @ 10:14 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I did a walk through of my property and to my horror the oak tree that supports one of my BEST stands has died. Oak wilt knocked it out in a few months.I am pushing 60 , so I am thinking ahead and will probably replace it with a box blind. I can still climb but I just don't see me doing that for many more years. I have done some reading and have seen that in some cases 2x4's attached to each other may be stronger than 4x4's. I think that the tests were done with the 2x4's glued together in a very specific way. I am not sure that I could get away with gluing and screwing them and get the same results. I will be building a 5 x 5 one man blind for crossbow and rifle hunting. The plastic alternatives were not what I was looking for in terms of size and windows. I like a very open concept for the crossbow. I am looking for durability over the next 20 years as much as total strength because I am confident that either would have enough strength for my purposes. I have a 5x6 that is 15 years old and it is hanging in there. I am dreading the chore but I am hoping to get at it pretty soon. Mrt.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 46 Posts
9/23/16 @ 8:14 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

One of my hunters built two . He used 2x4s  , but T'd  them instead  of just screwing them together into a 4x4 .  His box is 4x4 and it is about ten foot high . He drove  steel  fence posts by each leg and screwed them together  for stability  since it is just  set on the ground .  The one is about 15 years  old . He has a roof on them  of roof steel  that he can lower to seal the box when the season is over . No rotting at all , just a few mouse nests and maybe  some hornets .  He just checks them when is is cool with a can of spray  .

Post Your Comment
9/22/16 @ 11:26 PM
Phantom76
Phantom76
USER since 9/23/16

Nice

Post Your Comment
11/20/15 @ 12:41 PM
Ranger34
Ranger34
USER since 9/12/02
Here are two we built this year. 4x8 platforms with 4x4 post. One with a 4x6 blind and the other a 4x4 blind from Smithworks Outdoors. Platforms will stay (Tarped) blind will come in at the end of gun hunting season. Year one we may make adjustments.

Post Your Comment
11/2/15 @ 2:32 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Next time just buy an old bus! Mrt.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:25 AM
LBeast
LBeast
USER since 9/28/15
One could sleep in it! I have 5 kids under the age of 13... I needed room to give them each a window!

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:13 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
That is a big stand. Sleeper? I haven't had a chance to hunt my new ones yet. Need a south wind and preferably less than 20 mph. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 5:02 PM
LBeast
LBeast
USER since 9/28/15
I just built an 8x8 using home made elevator brackets and plenty of bracing. The paint job is my new camo pattern I refer to as Popple Slash. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
10/20/15 @ 11:40 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Cold Front and Alex the Dog, nice looking stands. I have used those elevator leg mounts and 4x4's to help my father in law build stands too

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 7:59 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Last week I picked up some cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting for the floors. You know, the green stuff. I put it in the stands and discovered that when you step on it, it makes a crinkly sound. No biggie but $20 bucks wasted. I will be tossing it out. I have some other old rugs that will work anyway but I thought I would pass this on for others. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
9/29/15 @ 8:32 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I was going to use a ladder stand for the ladder too. The height of my ladder stands just wasn't very close to what I needed and there was no place to put a brace. I like the way you tied the ladder brace into the stand. I may do that with the wooden ladders that I made. Thanks. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 46 Posts