SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

ATV For Food Plot

5/21/18 @ 3:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

Looking for advice on buying an ATV for food plotting.  I know a tractor is much better but it’s just not in the cards.  I’ve never owned an ATV and know little about them.  I will be buying used and will also need to buy implements.  Wondering about ATV size and features and any guidance on what to look for in used market.  The ATV will not be used for anything else.   What implements would I need to get started?  

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
5/26/18 @ 10:41 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Get a good sprayer for the ATV . Mine is a 16 gallon and with both a boom and a wand . This with some gluycosiphate  (sp ?)   Roundup  . Can solve a lot of problems . I even use it early on to make some trails through the tall grass for use in season to get to my stands . The deer seem to like them also judging by the trails in the mud .

5/26/18 @ 8:45 AM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

Thanks for the help guys.  I’m not sure if I’ll be buying this year or next but I wanted to start looking around so I’m ready when the time comes.  I’m glad to hear the atv discs seem to work for most once you add weight.  I think it will be one of those and 4ft of chain link fence for my first couple years.  My plots will mostly be spring plots just due to time available at this point.

5/26/18 @ 6:07 AM
Jake & Dan
User since 4/4/09

I would look at a Honda Rubicon. It is a 500 but has a low range and will handle anything you want to pull with it. I do not do food plots but haul quite a bit with it, my dad uses a 2003 for his food plots and has never had an issue. They are not the best for trail riding like a Polaris but are made to work and are pretty reliable.

5/25/18 @ 9:25 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

That's plotter ingenuity there ColdFront! My first drag was any medium sized pine tree I wanted to take out to open up plots and TSI. I then upgraded to a free length of chain link fence and chain, the chain I swiped off the kid's swing set. Then built my own cultipacker. It's a little heavier than needed but it woks great. If ever get the ambition I'll build another one that's not such a beast.

5/25/18 @ 9:16 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I use my 570 Polaris. I pull a disc and then a drag.The BEST drag I have found was my Hitch Buddy. You know what it is, it's the gear carriers that go into your trailer hitch. I just flip it over and tie a heavy rope to it. I am working with very sandy soil so what I use may be under powered for different soils. Mrt.

5/25/18 @ 9:14 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

You could probably get by with less, I'm sure other plotters do, I would seriously look into a least a 700 if it fits your budget. I've had smaller machines and bigger is better. Like Mac said get one with a winch if possible, or put one on. They do come in handy and have saved my butt a few times. My current one came with ITP MudLight tires. They make a world of difference. I also plow snow with mine. I hear lots of people say it is hard on them and I'm sure it is but I don't go crazy when plowing my 60' driveway and have had no issues with mine due to plowing for the last 8 years. I've had no issues with mine at all actually. It's a Yamaha Grizzly. IM me if you would like opinion on buying used.

Braking new ground can be a chore and tough on the ATV. I have a 4' KingKutter disk. It doesn't break new ground that well without adding some weight to it, ATV workout with multiple passes. I'm on sandy ground also. You may want to hit it with some gly a couple times before disking. Anyway, once broken it does a nice job with no weight added. I don't seed heavy and I do spring and fall plots. That program works pretty good for me as far as not having to deal with a lot of chaff and sod to breakup when I go to do the next planting. I don't spray either. I just disk down whatever green the deer have left and start over with cool weather\warm weather seedings.

5/25/18 @ 6:21 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I would NOT go less than a 700cc machine! 

It's like spending extra money on a good quality scope on your rifle. Get the best you can afford! 

If you add more implements to your food plot duties, the extra H.P. will help reduce stress in your engine. 

Big Mac 

5/24/18 @ 2:24 PM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

Thanks guys.  Sounds like 700 cc is recommendation.  Do you think smaller yet 4wd would be manageable if I’m not yankin a cultipaker around?  I’m thinking I’ll be disking and then probably using a drag to cover the seed bed.  Eventually upgrade to a seeder and probably sprayer but not cultipacker.  Do you think a 500 or 600 would be workable or just not enough for the disk?  My fields are old fields in sand country ... used to be farmed but not tilled in quite a while.    Any thoughts on the small ATV disk setups?  Do they get the job done?  I appreciate the help.

5/24/18 @ 12:54 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I don't do food plots, but have had many ATV's.

* At least 700cc.

* 4x4 capabilities. 

* Get one that hasn't been used for plowing! This adds alot of stress on engine & transmission. 

* A nice option is one with a winch. Comes in handy if you need to remove downed trees, get stuck, etc.

* Water-cooled is a nice option also.

Good luck,  

Big Mac 

5/24/18 @ 12:05 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

WW,

Been food plotting for 7 years now with and ATV, 4' disk and a roller\culti packer. I had a tractor and sold it since it didn't work well for my smaller plots. I have 700 and it does a nice job for what I need it to do. The cultipacker gives it a little work out but nothing serious. I need to be a little selective on what and how I plant as I am not equipped to deal with a lot of residue but so far I've had great results. Just put my spring plots in last weekend.

I purchased used as well. Have to be a bit careful on used market as these vehicles can see a lot of use and abuse. If the seat and plastic are in good shape it a good sign it wasn't ridden too hard. Beat up ones are just that. Your obviously looking at 4x4. If it has after market tires on it so much the better. I am fairly brand specific but there are a number of solid manufacturers out there.

Good Luck.  

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE