Anybody hunt on Blandin, UPM properties?

12/2/14 @ 3:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I just found out from a fellow hunter here in N. Minn. who was fined on opening day of deer season $200.00, that it is against the law to drive an ATV anywhere on paper company property unless it is a Maintained road. That means that ole logging road I use to drive in on to retrieve a deer is out of bounds now. Nor can you use your ATV to haul your portable in and out, which by the way must be removed within 7 days of deer season. You may also not cut ANY trees or BRUSH for any reason, such as making shooting lanes.
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
12/4/14 @ 6:30 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Most likely too many people abused the privilage of the ATV's and stands. I see it all the time in Price co. Cutting ATV trails into county land is common. Ya I email the county forest dept. Never helps. It is only a handfull of slobs that ruin it.

Post Your Comment
12/3/14 @ 8:42 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
The things you describe are standard policy for all paper company land that I've ever used.

Post Your Comment
12/3/14 @ 12:26 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I've been hunting this land since 1970, well before Blandin got involved. We were always allowed to to drive on logging roads and even build permanent stands, but no more. I'm not sure how Blandin ever got the rights to this land, but pretty sure it was never offered to the public.

Anyway, just a sad passing of yet another privilege we use to enjoy. I, over the years, always took care of my area, and always left it in better shape then I found it.

At age 59, I find myself wondering if it's worth hunting there anymore. I hunt miles back in, and doubt I could ever drag a deer out that far by hand anymore. I also wonder about how I'm going to get a portable in or out. Guess there isn't much use for an ATV anymore for my purposes anyway.

Just sad that it has to be this way.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/2/14 @ 6:14 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment