AB 411. Eliminating the age requirement for hunting

1/21/16 @ 5:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
While the 'blaze pink' topic is being beaten to death this legislation is barely getting a peep here on LL. This bill will eliminate the 10 year old age requirement completely, if that in itself is ignorant enough, it also allows more than one weapon to be carried between the hunter and the mentor. Who comes up with this stuff?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 58 Posts
3/4/16 @ 7:23 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Back to the top one last time. It appears to have died. Smile

Tim

http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/wisconsin-mentored-hunting-bills-die-without-a-vote/

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 5:50 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
No specific mention of that in what I have read but I would think they would not go on public record as being in support of this if they had issues with parts of the bill.

Tim

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 2:50 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
No luck, totally agree about small game hunting.

Tim t,

Is the org support for the bill a blanket support, or do we know of any requests from those groups to modify the bill?

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 1:51 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Update to a post of mine a few days ago that mentioned who was in support of this bill.

Many more groups to add: the Families Afield Coalition, which consists of the previously mentioned Sportsmen's Alliance, National Shooting Sports Foundation, NWTF, NRA, and Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation.

In Wisconsin it is supported by Wisconsin Bear Hunters, all Chapters of Safari Club International, and the Wisconsin Bowhunters.

Tim

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 9:25 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
My mistake, I should have said center fire cartridge.

I agree whole heartily with your concerns.

Maybe I am living in the past, but I look at it this way.

Taking the youth small game hunting, especially for rabbit and squirrel, with rimfire .22 are the best way to begin the exposure, education and recruitment process. It gets them in the woods, and I remember I was just as proud of my first squirrels and rabbits as I was of my first deer.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 12:11 AM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
no-luck said ... "I also do believe a higher more restrictive standard should exist for big game hunting with a large bore rifle."

I took that as you imply that people hunt with big bore weapons. But we all know that is not the case; the unfortunate reality is that there are a large number of morons hunting deer with .223

I can't go up north before gun season without seeing at least a handful of turds sighting in their ARs. My assumption is that if those idiots are planning on hunting with those things, they are probably teaching their kids to hunt with them to.

Or was your comment meant to imply that you think hunting deer with a caliber that can actually down a deer in 1 shot 1 kill fashion wrong?

Maybe you lost me.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 7:28 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
John said, "I don't think we should assume any hunters are using a larger caliber, or higher power round when hunting."

You lost me.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 2:31 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
I don't think there is a need for the mentor to carry a rifle.

I don't think we should assume any hunters are using a larger caliber, or higher power round when hunting.

We all know there are doofs out there taking shots with .223 who don't know why their deer are taking off running to hide, and die in a swamp.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 10:33 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
Great points by all, with all of these views regarding age, someone please explain then the need for the mentor to carrying a weapon as well. Seems like he or she has enough to keep them occupied with the youngster. Why the need to allow the second firearm.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 10:18 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
Working in a safety related profession, my thoughts are "safety first".

I see a difference between the requirements for someone small game hunting with a .22 or .410, or big game hunting with archery equipment. In these situations I can understand and accept a different minimum requirement for age and/or how the mentor program would work.

I also do believe a higher more restrictive standard should exist for big game hunting with a large bore rifle.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 58 Posts