44 magnum round for whitetail

3/12/15 @ 1:45 PM
ORIGINAL POST
AO
AO
USER since 8/1/01
Couldn't find a thread on this....I shoot a Taurus 44 mag with a 6.5in barrel. Looking for a good round for deer. I won't shoot past 50 yards and hunt hardwoods. I shot my first handgun deer with hornady xtp 240gr and wasn't real impressed. What do you use and why?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
9/4/15 @ 1:23 PM
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
This is along the same lines for a .357

I know the 357 is on the lighter side of deer handguns and I plan on keeping my shots within 25 yards. I currently shoot hornady ballistic tips and they shoot very well. Anyone have any .357 rounds they were impressed with when they harvested big game?

Post Your Comment
9/4/15 @ 10:26 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Anyone else have 44 Mag comments. I too picked one up recently, and it is my goal to shoot a deer with it. I've done the rifle, and the Muzzle Loader, now I want to do a handgun!!

Post Your Comment
3/19/15 @ 1:14 PM
AO
AO
USER since 8/1/01
Thanks for the input Steve. Has anybody ever heard of this round? Its called "prograde (bear grade) 44mag in 320gr. It sounded good and ballistics looked decent but I've never heard of it until searching around the other night. Not many reviews. Its more affordable. A lot of times you get what u pay for but there are exceptions. Here is a link if anybody wants to check it out.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Prograde-44-Rem-Magnum-320-Grain-WFNGC-HC-Ammo-p/320hc44m.htm

Post Your Comment
3/12/15 @ 3:14 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I've shot several whitetail with my .44 revolver. Like you, I wasn't impressed with the XTP bullets. I've since gone to using Garrett Cartridge Company bullets. I use the 310 grain Hammerhead rounds.

Yes, they are a touch pricey but they sure do make a hole and they penetrate deep! I've blown through some pretty darned big hogs with these bullets as well.

Check them out on the web.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment