2014 gun season final reports

12/1/14 @ 8:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
We had our best season ever. Our "family group" of 8 got 17 deer, 7 bucks and 10 does. 3 members of that group only hunted opening weekend and one only came after Thanksgiving. The larger group we teamed up with for drives got an additional 3 bucks and 5 does for 6 hunters. The largest was 8pt with 17" spread that got the shooter on the local TV station. The deer were all shot in old unit 62A, Marathon/Portage counties. I don't have a pic of the largest buck, but here are some others.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
12/2/14 @ 5:58 PM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
Post Your Comment
12/2/14 @ 8:59 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I had my worst rifle season ever. I can echo the heart of the National Forest not having a lot of deer, we only saw 1. Which is more than most guys I talked to. We didn't do any drives though. Hunted around my house and saw a few orphaned fawns, but the does must have been shot already. I did not hunt real hard though, I got 2 during bow season and had less motivation.

Of course I talked to my neighbor and they told me they shot some does, but they had no fawns. As he is telling me this there are 2 playing in a cut corn field next to his barn at midday without a care in the world, within a 100 yards of us as we talked. Sure they had no fawns lol, 3 does in farmland had no fawns. I just have to smile and agree though haha. I can definitely tell the difference now though as they have been popping a number of does now each year. Less deer than 5 years ago on his land without a doubt.

Heading back up north for muzzleloader to see if this guy made it through. Maybe I can get lucky and he'll stroll on by....or his spiker buddy.

Edited on 12/2/14 9:10 AM
Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 6:40 PM
journeymission
journeymission
USER since 2/27/10
"While deer gun hunting season may be over, muzzleloader season starts Dec. 1 and continues through Dec. 10, while crossbow season continues until Jan"

Geeze, wish archery season went until January too...

Hunted Sauk. Never saw a buck older than 2.5 and did 3 all day sits as well as a few other mornings/evenings. Heard the most shooting on Wednesday afternoon. Sounded like opening morning. Old man shot a 3.5 8 on opening day around 2:30. Think I'll go back out with the bow for a doe.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 4:34 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Very slow year for my 7-man group. We have a very healthy population, but the deer just weren't moving during the daylight. We ended up with only 5 deer. I got a decent 9-pointer, my dad got a morphadite spiker that he thought was a doe, and my uncle got 3 does. The two bucks and 2 does were shot in Marquette county private land and one doe on Jackson county private. We usually get about 6-10 on our Marquette property and a couple in Jackson. I still plan on doing some bowhunting and my uncle is doing blackpowder this week so hopefully we get a couple more.

Edited on 12/1/14 4:34 PM
Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 10:35 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Our marathon county land is in Bevent/Guenther townships.

The 80 I lease out is in Berlin township. The Berlin parcel is excellent habitat and I have logged and planted trees to help make it that way. It also has a small river (Little Rib) that runs most of the length of the property. It is thick brush and evergreens in most of the woods with good contour. The part of the land that is in agriculture is planted to grain crops as are most of the adjoining parcels. So, the hunters succeed there very consistently- despite lower deer densities.

The Bevent area is LOADED with deer on most parcels. So is north/east Portage county.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 10:25 AM
oldwalt
oldwalt
USER since 8/9/01
Land man ..I have an 80 in northern Marathon co. Hewitt township and there are very few deer to be seen..you must be ing the western part of the county. Sad

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 9:50 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Nice buck Rodbendr!

I just heard from the guys who lease my land in northern Marathon County (old unit 33). 3 hunters who hunted only 3 1/2 days and 5 deer killed. One buck and 4 does. The buck was a 6 pt. They do very well there every year, averaging 4 deer per year on just 80 acres with about 50 acres of woods.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 8:56 AM
RodBend'r
RodBend'r
USER since 5/19/04
Congrats landman on a very successful hunt!

I hunted all 9 days with 3 different crews in Western Taylor county.(bucks only) I got lucky opening day sitting on a creek crossing at noon with a 10pt. (only deer I seen with that crew opening weekend) A couple other deer were seen, but no bucks. Monday and Tuesday I jumped in with some fishing buddies of mine and made some 5 man pushes. A couple does and fawns were seen but no bucks. Wednesday-Sunday I hunted with my family making drives. We had between 5-20 people depending on the day. 4 bucks were shot total. 3 8's and a spike. A few other bucks were sighted, but not many. No shots were fired past Wednesday afternoon. Last year the same crew shot 17 bucks. We did however see alot of does and fawns throughout the week, which is very encouraging. If you get close to private land with bait piles, you will see deer. Not a lot of deer in the heart of the National Forest though. 95% of my hunting during the 9 day deer season took place on National Forest public land. Another encouraging thing I seen, or should I say "didn't" see were wolf tracks. Lots of coyotes and cats, but not 1 single wolf was seen by anybody that I know. All in all it was a rather slow rifle season, but we still had a great, safe time with lots of laughs. I will back out in the same haunts Friday-Sunday making drives with the smokepole in the same areas. I know a few nice bucks are left.

Good luck!

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 8:28 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Here are a few more pics.

Post Your Comment