2014 Deer Gun Season Close in the Northern County's

11/13/14 @ 6:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Pike River Outfitters
Pike River Outfitters
MEMBER since 5/3/08
This is what the headlines should read. I know this is a bold statement , But someone had to say it. Winter stayed late this past spring, and obviously came early this fall. Add to that the high predator numbers, and a already low deer population in the Northern Management units. And it seems like we as hunters will be singing the blues like never before in the future. Very few of us believe the DNR estimation as to the current deer numbers. And we all know the only way they managed deer is to kill them. Lets remember part of what makes this sport so enjoyable is having deer to hunt. Save a Deer- Shoot a Predator
Edited on 11/14/14 1:46 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 59 Posts
11/19/14 @ 3:30 AM
drojsir
drojsir
USER since 1/30/08
this seems like a sound plan

Post Your Comment
11/18/14 @ 10:15 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
Strike sensor pager system ,strikesensor.com up to 200ft alarm goes off on your pager. 920-533-3624

Post Your Comment
11/18/14 @ 9:48 AM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
The DNR is holding an online chat today discussing the 2014 deer season forecast.

You can log in below and participate.

http://dnr.wi.gov/chat/expert.html?utm_source=Chat&utm_medium=Homepage&utm_campaign=20141118_GenericDeerChat

Looks like it starts at 12:00

Post Your Comment
11/18/14 @ 8:56 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I was actually debating a narrow part of a lake where I know deer cross once it freezes up. So I'd be setup within eyesight of my tip ups and the trail. Sit on shore where I can see the tip ups and into the woods. I sort of look at that option as not taking rifle season too seriously though but on the other hand the lake would have less snow than the woods for travel. I'll have to wait until Friday to make a decision I think.

Post Your Comment
11/18/14 @ 8:29 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Well said fishy! If I get one I get one, if I don't, the old fashions will still be there at the end of the day. I'm still trying to figure out a plan that lets me set tipups while hunting. Wink

Post Your Comment
11/18/14 @ 7:52 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
I'm going hunting ! hunting in Sawyer County- Bucks only- fine with me. Closing the season- are you nuts!

Do the people proposing this live here, are they actually native to Northern Wisconsin? I would be surprised if they are.

My sons and daughter along with my wife are fine with bucks only for a few years. I wonder how many of these people posting the doom and gloom are actually fulltime residents of Northern Wisconsin? There is so much mis information on this topic. Yes the herd is down, winters,preditors and killing to many does will do that. Its time to re build- that is what the DNR is doing.

We have a very huntable population of bucks here. We also have a good healthy population of Antlerless- that will grow.

If you put in your time you may get one, if you don't get one you participated in the best tradition in the Northwoods- good luck everyone.

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 4:53 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Manitou......they screwed up so bad that there is not even an antlerless tag with the bow tags this year up here. Probably won't be for quite a few years. Horrible management practices by the very agency trusted to manage our big game populations.

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 4:49 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Manitou.......too little too late.......by about three years. Unbelievably large numbers of antlerless tags sold in 2011 and 2012 is what's to blame for the condition of the deer herd here today. The proof of that is the fact that the antlerless harvest is at zero in the northern forest zone. Some conservative antlerless harvest would be fine, but the WDNR couldn't even sell all the antlerless tags they tried selling in Florence County in 2012. Hunters refused to buy or use that large of an amount anymore. As usual average joe hunter knew more than the WDNR brain trust about the local deer population.

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 2:12 PM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
I believe Badger was referring to the past several years, Remember if you teach somebody that hunting is about killing they will be slob hunters. Nowhere in the definition of hunting does it say anything about killing, getting is the reward for time and patience. Now people will have to hunt, those who whine separate themselves from the hunters. GO HUNT!!!

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 1:08 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
My biggest beef with the WDNR in Florence County is the huge numbers of antlerless tags sold. Tens of thousands of antlerless tags are not sustainable for this area. I would guess trained biologist are aware of this,which makes me even angrier. They know exactly what they are doing, purposely crashing the deer herd every few years,then pretending it didn't happen. How about some thoughtful ,conservative management from the so called professionals "supposedly" managing the big game in the north woods. I personally would like to see more boots on the ground by a local biologist,instead of setting quotas from a regional headquarters.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 59 Posts