Your best fishing day ever..

1/16/15 @ 6:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
It's easy for me, the year was 1987, and I made my first ever trip up to fish Rainy River in April. Everything about the trip was like the perfect storm, everything came together. The day on which we could go was the warmest of the spring, with temps reaching into the 70's. I didn't know the river at all, so just ran up till I could go no further because of rapids. There, on the Canadian side I found a huge eddy, and I think every walleye from LOTW's must have been laying in it. The action was pretty much non-stop for over 8 hours, and I wouldn't even begin to put a number on it. Let's just say it was probably once in a lifetime for me. I returned the following spring, only to find high water, ice flows, and dirty water. Now, the landings get so busy, that there can be waits that last into the hours....not for me!
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts
4/4/15 @ 12:46 PM
noslrac
noslrac
USER since 4/4/15
The day my sister and I were kayaking on a small lake and she asked if she could borrow my rod.

At first she was nervous just being in a yak, then about moving around in the yak.

We now spend much time fishing in our kayaks. We just load them up and take off. We need more vacation time. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 11:26 PM
walleyeguy1229
walleyeguy1229
USER since 4/15/13
Catching 45lbs. worth of white bass on Butte Des Morts this past Labor Day weekend in a matter of 24hrs.

Post Your Comment
3/21/15 @ 10:58 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Fall 2009 or 2010 when we had that big flood on the WI river. I was in an eddy below a dam and the fish were stacked like wood. Crappie 12-14" and legal walleye every cast. Lost a mammoth musky. Left because I was tired of catching fish.

Ice fishing going through 6 dozen minnows in just a few hours, 50+ flags.

Too many days to count. Good topic!

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 7:54 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
The best day I can remember was not full of big fish, but off the charts in the coolness factor. My buddy and I were whitewater rafting down the Snake river in Minnesota with our fishing and camping gear. After several wild rapids (it was May, high water) we wiped out at the upper falls and our gear bag with all the food got lost. We saved the beer floating down the river and the camping gear and rods were still strapped in. We came to an old abandoned logging dam from the 1890's that was a class 4 rapids and had a freshwater spring right by the dam. Put our beer in the spring and it was 45 degrees in 5 min. Knew we had to catch fish to eat, still had the frying pan and oil in the camping gear. Made a few top water casts and caught some nice smallmouth and pike. Tried the bottom which was around 20 ft deep and caught a walleye every cast, put 6 keepers on the stringer between the two of us. Then just to see what was there, we fished the 10 ft depths with spinnerbaits. I landed 7 crappie 13 1/2 to 14 1/4 inches! Released them. Since we were starving, it was time to cook up the eyes and have those cold beers. We caught all those fish in 45 min.

Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 10:55 AM
TackleBuster
TackleBuster
USER since 3/28/13
One of my best days was in northern Missouri on Edwin a Pape lake. 16 years old, hottest day of the year. I slammed 4 largemouth from the same spot that all went over 8 pounds. Didn't weigh them , but my four cousins agreed. With every fish I caught they got bigger. Would've mounted the first, but I was outvoted. The last one met it's make. The fish sat in a 5 gallon bucket for 3 hours in direct sun before being weighed. Final measurements were 24 in 10.6 lbs. 14 in from top to bottom and a back that was almost 6 in. Awesome fish. We all agree it was a 12 to 12.5 lb largemouth. Totally awesome!!

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 11:03 PM
CBQRR1
CBQRR1
USER since 4/4/06
Any time I'm on the water or ice is the best day fishing. That means I'm not at work! Doesn't matter weather I catch fish or not. Just being out there is all I need.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 10:30 PM
rottenfisher1
rottenfisher1
USER since 11/8/10
Had a poor morning fishing, one warm October day, then went back in the evening and caught 5 eyes, with three being legals.

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 7:18 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
100+ perch before 8 a.m. in April 2001. Limit of gills on fly rod last week of March while buddies hit the perch ice fishing at same time. Great day with dad in may of 1999 When we got a mess of white bass on wolf river and then hit wega for gills with flyrod after some wega dairy ice cream. 100 walleye afternoon on lake dubay fall of 2002 in 2 hours. Those were good. Best was last summer when 6 year old daughter caught a fat 17" smallmouth.

Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 8:21 PM
HERO547
HERO547
USER since 8/22/08
Every time I take out a complete stranger and he catches more fish than he ever thought possible. When I see in his eyes the joy he is having. Then once in awhile one of them will say. I used to see your posts that say, it was a slow day I only caught 50 fish. Now I believe it when you say. I caught a hundred today. God, I can not wait for open water and at my age. A WHOLE LOT WARMER. Best of luck to all.

Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 5:04 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
Too many to count....

I had a few years where I was catching 50-100 wipers a day (actually in about 4 hours).....ridiculous, every cast from the time I'd get there till I had to leave. I seriously am surprised my hands and thumbs recovered without major scarring. Biggest in the 12# range.

My best musky day was 12 landed. I recall more than once having multiple musky follow on the same cast.

Chinook fishing...heck, the rod's bend 99% of the time on good days...I think around 100 was my best day...all bobber fishing.

Bass, well, too many spectacular days...When I talk about good days bass fishing, people that haven't fished with me just think I'm lying....which is simply amusing, but I rarely talk about days like that with people I don't fish with. I'll give one example:

A few springs ago I had a friend who talked me into a tournament on Wind lake...just prior, he called to tell me the GF was in labor and he couldn't fish...so I called my fishing buddy (fishboy35) and had him meet me at the launch.

It was a miserable spring evening, winds ripping over 30MPH, rain and impending storms. If that wasn't enough, the temps had dropped nearly 30 degrees from the previous day. Really not even a fun day to be on a boat.

First we hit a point, catching 3 quick pike when I say...dude, you ain't gonna like this, but we need to head to the back of the main flat and finesse fish...the big girls gotta be there. We get there, basically in the middle of the lake, wind and waves wreaking havoc. About the 3rd cast I catch a 5lber. Then Vince catches a 5....because of the winds we actually lost another 5 giants that we just couldn't get a hook into...in about 25 minutes we had 3 in the 5lb range in the box.

Then a big storm moved in and I say, lets back off, throw some lipless and fill this limit....5 minutes later and before the bad weather hit we were done and back at the bar...waiting 2.5 hours for the weigh in....yeah, we fished less than an hour.

Weigh ins came and the smell of skunk was in the air....only 3 boats brought in a single fish....until we weighed in 2lb was big bass. We had over 18lb and 3 giants...people were quite salty with us, subtly implying we had somehow cheated...lol...just because we won by over 16lb and barely fished? Ahhhh, good times indeed. Cool

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts