Yellow Bass

5/20/14 @ 9:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
yangstah
yangstah
USER since 7/6/11
What are some good waters to fish for yellowbass on shore since I don't have a boat within the Wisconsin arena? By the way, I live in Milwaukee, WI. Thanks in advance.
Edited on 5/20/14 9:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
3/22/15 @ 7:07 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
You can still catch them in high numbers in Tichigan as well as in the Fox River svitreum...

For me, the Yellow Bass are the most consistent bite on the Fox.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 6:40 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I remember about 15 years ago going to Wilmot and wading upstream of the hwy C bridge about 200 yards and killing the yellow bass. You could count on at least 25 or so on a good day. I used a red worm and a small split shot, casting upstream at a 45 degree angle and letting the rig just tick along the river bottom in about 3 fow. I agree with Plmlk about how they taste much better than whites. I wish the yellow bass were still running like they did then, because I would definitely chase em. Maybe some day they will re-surge in numbers like that. It was always very late April into the first week of May. Miss it for sure.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 8:28 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about White Bass / Yellow Bass, and how to tell them apart.

Poked around on-line and found that Yellow Bass have multiple stripes that extend the length of the fish from gill to tail. White Bass only have 1. Also, Yellow Bass have a broken stripe just above the anal fin.

Looked around in my fishing pictures and found one of each. The first pic is on the Wolf River, and the Yellow Bass is from the Fox River in Waterford.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, Yellow Bass are much better table fare than White Bass. With White Bass everyone has a "secret" on how to make them taste decent. With Yellow Bass you don't have to do anything, treat them just like Blue Gills - they taste the same.

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 8:10 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
Used to catch lots and lots of them on the Fox River in Kenosha Co. - especially around Wilmot.

Not sure how it is these days.

Center Lake in Kenosha Co. had some nice ones - really good size, and may still.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 7:58 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Yellow Bass are quite different from White Bass...

With White Bass you need to keep them on ice, cut out the mud line, and rinse, rinse, rinse, so that they don't taste "fishy"

Yellow Bass are just like Gills, you don't have to do anything to them.

Also, Yellow Bass have really thick shoulders. You easily get more meat off of your fillet from a 7 inch Yellow Bass as compared to a 8 1/2" Gill.

I typically grill my panfish on tinfoil with a little olive oil, and you can't tell the difference between a Yellow Bass and a Gill.

I fish the Fox frequently, and the Yellow Bass is the most consistent bite you will find. Don't think I've ever been skunked...

Really an underrated fish...

Edited on 3/16/15 8:01 PM
Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 11:27 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
cds,

I doubt you will find any chain pickerel in WI. I know where they are plentiful though. East side of the Appalachians in PA where trout streams begin to warm and become smallie water. Caught a bunch as a kid. Now, grass pickerel can be caught just 5 minutes from my house. Not numerous, but present. Cool

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 10:26 AM
part-timer
part-timer
USER since 1/22/05
Lake Wisconsin has a great winter bite for them. I easily put over 150 thru the ice not more than three weeks ago. I didn't keep them all and I know of at least six or seven other fisherman that got into them good out there. public access, there are a few areas. the road by the Grade. Okee bay bridge. and a few over by Merrimac.

bbusser

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 7:17 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
'Ifishwi' said: "Why in the world do you want to catch yellow bass?"

They're better eating than whites?

Not to hijack the thread but I really want to catch a chain pickerel. It's kind of the "yellow bass" of the esox clan. I don't need to catch a bunch,I just want to catch one - preferable on a cool damp day when I can hold it in my hand and look for a few minutes before a good release.

I've never caught one.

Also,those little shovelnose sturgeon on the Mississippi? I've never caught one of those either.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 5:59 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Fox River has a bunch, as well as lots of shore fishing opportunities...

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 8:49 PM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
USER since 6/17/03
I agree with chemist on Auburn lake ton of them but they run small. You can fish off shore by the launch across from the DNR station. I don't think the boat rental is open anymore on the other side of the lake but maybe there is a new one but don't think so.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts