Wolf River Fishing Rafts

3/24/16 @ 2:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Walleye Guy 06
Walleye Guy 06
USER since 2/11/16
Hey guys. Possibly thinking about making a fishing raft for the spring walleye run. Something to put out for a month or two. I know you you need permission to either tie off on someone's land. Just wondering if it's something I want to get into or if they are just more of a hassle than anything. Also would need some pointers on the construction of them, if I could start with an old pontoon boat or a bunch of 55gal drums or both? Maybe some pics of yours, and some do's or don'ts that you learned on the building process of yours. Thanks guys!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/8/16 @ 9:22 AM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
For some of them there are multiple individuals that have a share in them. It is nice to be able to split the costs. It is nice if you are close by so you can maybe fish evenings instead of just weekends. Some are also pulled out before the river ices up.

I have stayed on my brother's raft a number of times. I don't live close (moved from the area about 40 years ago) but it is nice to be able to fish on my old "home" water. I went last weekend and was on the water at 4 pm Friday and didn't leave until 3 pm on Sunday. We cooked meals on the stove, had a warm place to go if I got cold and a comfortable bunk bed. Even took a nap on Saturday when the snow was falling and the 35 mph winds blowing. The fish weren't biting then anyway!

Post Your Comment
4/6/16 @ 7:08 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Is it worth it? Depends on how often youre able to use it. Fishing on the wolf is hit and miss. You can sit for hours and even days with few fish then suddenly you get a good run. Then its only several weeks per year. The rest of the year the raft sits unused, subject to the whims of ice, floods and rodents.

Post Your Comment
4/4/16 @ 8:33 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I've been fishing the Wolf in Early Spring and watched a few guys set up their raft - thought it was pretty interesting.

Some guys spend 10K on their rig between floats, deck, roof, grill, generator, bunk beds, etc... I think it's all in what you enjoy.

I don't think much of spending 500 bucks to head north for a 3 day weekend of fishing with my boys, but 500 snaps on curtains or cloths make my skin crawl.

Having 3 or 4 buds on a raft where you can let loose and catch some fish looks like it'd be a great time.

Post Your Comment
3/26/16 @ 11:31 AM
Walleye Guy 06
Walleye Guy 06
USER since 2/11/16
Yeah you definitely need to register them. Just trying to figure out if it's going to be more of a hassle than anything! That's exactly what I was thinking was a cooler full of beer and a card table!

Post Your Comment
3/25/16 @ 9:27 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
It is definitely legal, I see them every Spring from Shiocton to just up river from Fremont. They all have numbers on them, so I assume you must have to register them with the DNR

I've always thought it looked like a bunch of fun. Most of them have propane lights, bunk beds, a grill, generator, coolers etc.

It'd be a great way to kill a night with a few buds!

Post Your Comment
3/25/16 @ 6:22 AM
skarbo1
skarbo1
USER since 2/3/05
I'd check with the DNR first to see if it's even legal.

Post Your Comment