Wisconsin River fishing

7/17/15 @ 6:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
John.lacke.fishes
John.lacke.fishes
USER since 4/17/15
My grandsons and I are looking to float my 16' Lund down a section of the Wisconsin River for a fishing trip. We'd bring two cars and float the boat down river to the other car. We'd likely stay overnight in a hotel near the river. Are there sections of the river that are more likely to produce fish and wouldn't be dangerous for the boat? We'd be going in September, on a weekend, most likely. Any tips would be appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
8/2/15 @ 5:41 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
Sarge there is some pretty lengthy sections of the river north of us just so you know.

Post Your Comment
7/28/15 @ 2:50 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Most of the river is impounded as flowages so it really is more of a series of lakes than a river. I personally like the section below Petenwell Dam down to the Castle Rock RR bridge, but that is only about 5 or 6 miles. There is no real easy way to portage a 16 ft boat around the dams. If you were really going to float the river, a canoe would be about the only way you could do it it and get some distance.

Post Your Comment
7/27/15 @ 7:02 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
The section around Portage is a lot of fun- can find the deep holes and bottom fish or get out onto the sand bars and wade fish for smallies, northern etc... which would be a lot of fun for a kid. I can't speak to any nearby hotels, as we've always just tent camped out on the sandbars (which was the best part of the whole thing).

Post Your Comment
7/27/15 @ 6:32 PM
John.lacke.fishes
John.lacke.fishes
USER since 4/17/15
I realize that the Wisconsin is 430 miles long and has something like 26 dams. What I don't know is where it is suitable for a 16' Lund, ie deep enough, or where my little group is more likely to have a good time floating downriver. We're bass and panfish fishermen, but the kids tend to get bored if they're not doing something active, like catching fish. It's likely a catch-and-release, unless there's a trophy fish involved. The nine-year-old already has a couple of wall-hangers. We have fished in the Lake Alice near Tomahawk, but we're from the Sheboygan area, so that's a long trip. Perhaps there's a section of the river that would accommodate a weekend trip that y'all know about?

Post Your Comment
7/19/15 @ 12:39 PM
ocetp
ocetp
USER since 7/7/01
What section of the river are you considering? It's 430 miles long.

Post Your Comment