What happened to common courtesy?

3/27/15 @ 9:10 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gon' Fishin'
Gon' Fishin'
USER since 9/28/13
I enjoy fishing just as much as the next guy. I try to get out as much as time (and money) allows. The nearest place for me to go happens to be a river. Since I am not fortunate enough to have the money for a boat, I have to try my luck fishing from shore. There are very few public fishing areas on most bodies of water, and this one is no different. I have had very little success over the last 2 open water seasons but I still rather be out there trying than sitting on my butt at home. Now, the river, especially this time of year, is a popular Walleye fishery. This means there are lots of people fishing, and the majority are in boats. Drift jigging is a very popular method that has good success from what I have seen. It just so happens one of the better shore fishing spots is at one of these "hot" spots for jigging. Since jigging from shore in a river is darn-near impossible, and slow reeling 3-ways usually ends up in snags, I typically have no choice but to cast it out and let it sit and wait for a bite. Meanwhile, the several boats working this same stretch of river, insist on coming so close to me, they catch my lines. This has happened 3 times this week, twice results in my rig getting snagged and having to snap my line, and today it got caught in the guys trolling motor and he keeps going down river as hes apparently trying to free it, I either have to cut my line or throw my rod in, and I'll be damned if thats going to happen, so I had to cut it. My point is.. Is getting that 5 yards closer to me really that important? Gear isnt cheap and snags happen on their own, I dont need you in your boat to come by and catch my line a couple times a day. You have just as much right to fish the river as I do. However, you (boaters) can fish the entire river, anywhere you want. I have very limited places. If you insist on fishing the same stretch of river, please, please, please... Have some common courtesy to your fellow [shore> fisher men and women, and give us a little more room. The river is plenty wide enough and I'm not even close to half way across. Thank you.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
9/22/16 @ 5:17 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Brad, I'm convinced that a lot of people don't look close enough and analyze what you're doing! It falls into the same category as the guy at the boat launch that can't wait his turn! A lot of people don't give a crap!! Get used to it, because I think it's getting worse year by year! They don't analyze anything around themselves!

Post Your Comment
9/22/16 @ 10:56 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

That happened to me a couple of times on Gaenos Reef this summer.  I run through trolling and pick up a couple fish on the reef and some boat comes running over and parks on the spot.  I gotta teach the boy to keep the net low in the boat when netting fish.

Post Your Comment
9/22/16 @ 9:11 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16

It is not just shore vs boat any more either. I have another thing that I seem to just draw to myself.  I will be running a slow drift on a point then troll back up. (yes I am an evil boat owner) and another boat will come right into my drift and dump an anchor to set slip bobbers.  I has happened to me at least four times this summer.  It is a huge lake and I am clearly fishing here by myself.

At least I don't run into that in the river.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
9/21/16 @ 8:31 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I ran into that situation once, guy had his name and company number all over his truck. I took picture and texted it to him, read him the riot act. His response was well my buddy parked my truck.

Post Your Comment
9/21/16 @ 1:11 PM
alaska123
alaska123
USER since 6/18/05

there was plenty of room and he is a guide, you would think he would know better

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 8:28 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

In real tight parking lots this happened to me. All I did was pull the back of trailer straight within the lines by hand. It isn't very hard to do. Some people just don't care.

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 6:50 AM
alaska123
alaska123
USER since 6/18/05

Wish people would learn to park

Post Your Comment
4/4/15 @ 12:06 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
It's in the same place common sense. Let us know if you ever find it … and gooood luck with that. Worried

Post Your Comment
4/1/15 @ 9:36 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Three sides to every story.

The OP sounds like e genuinely nice guy. But...

I sometimes see guys cast "set" line halfway across the river. It's often hard to see how far out the lines are. Guys in drifting boats sometimes can't see the lines or assume they're not out in the middle of the river.

I've had guys holler at me angrily from the shadows at night when I had no idea they were there.

There's areas I know that are very snaggy and still mostly fishermen toss jigs from shore. That works well with drifting boats....but occasionally someone tosses 3 lines as far out as they can effectively blocking that entire dside of the river to drifting boats...but since they're moving with current and paying attention to what they themselves are doing - and expect most shore guys are casting jigs - they inevitably and quite innocently cross that one shore guy's lines.

Then there's the guys who aren't fishing "that" far out until a boat comes by. That's when they start bombing the boat with big,far-casting baits. I have shore fished next to those guys. ..The OP doesn't sound like he's got a chip on his shoulder but some of those guys do. They think boat ownership is a matter of luck,"good fortune",or even being somehow "rich" when it really is a matter of hard work,sacrifice,or priorities (boat payments are less than a pack-a-day cigaret habit,for instance)...

They simply resent fishermen who own boats. The nicer the boat,the more likely he's just "rich f'er" deserving of having big heavy spoons cast into their boats...I know that as fact as both a shore guy listening to the complaints and a boater who has sat and watched where everyone's casting. Then I've fished where no-one's fishing only to have someone angrily bounce 3/4oz jigs off my hull while yelling obscenities.

Not saying there isn't some rude SOBs out there in boats. Therec certainly are and it seems there's more every year. Just saying that if you're casting way out into the river,you're "taking" more river than just that part in front of you. The boat's drift has to be changed a hundred yards upstream and is still "wrong" for another 100yds down...and who knows? That might just be where the best stretch of clam bed is. Or maybe every other shore fisherman is casting 3/8th ox jigs and twisters and that one "soaker" is unexpected...

As both a boat and shore fisherman,I know there's times when shore fishing is far more productive. Sometimes walleyes travel closer to shore rather than out in the channel.

Three sides to every story.

...Casting three lines out into the channel and hoping for a fish is seldom the most productive way to fish. The snaggier it is,the MORE productive jig/plastic is over bait soaking....In fact,the jig/plastic guys fishing from shore derisively call those guys "soakers" and in crowded places wish it could somehow be outlawed. They "hog" too big an area of shoreline.

There are shore fishermen during the run who use two set lines - one cast upstream,the other down - to "reserve" an area. They don't even care of there's bait on those lines,only that they have a reserved area between those lines to cast a jig.

Crowded shorefishing areas have their own set of "courtesies" and broken courtesies and...for want of a better word,dramas.

To the OP - I'm curious where you fish.

Edited on 4/2/15 10:50 AM
Post Your Comment
4/1/15 @ 5:24 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I agree with the lack of common courtesy, it does seem to be getting worse. The landings are what seem to be the worst, to the point a guy just dreads putting or taking your boat out. No matter how much has been written about how to prepare your boat for landing, out of everybody's way, theres always that one guy who just never got the message.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts