Ways to prevent sea sickness?

7/13/14 @ 8:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
jason21nl
jason21nl
USER since 8/12/07
So I can be a tough guy when need to be...however one thing that always kicks my butt, are waves. I can handle the 1-2 footers but anything above that, I'm basically hanging my head over the side of the boat the whole trip. Before I go out, I always take Dramamine. It works OK, but seems to wear off pretty quickly, especially when the waves get high. Anyone have any tips or tricks, or things that really help for sea/motion sickness?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts
10/6/14 @ 7:24 PM
buckhound
buckhound
USER since 4/18/06
If you skip breakfast it helps.Sounds obvious but it's what I do on big water

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 12:11 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I have seen the sea bands (wrist bands) work for many friends and customers. Give those a try!

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 12:11 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I have seen the sea bands (wrist bands) work for many friends and customers. Give those a try!

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
8/19/14 @ 1:01 PM
HUBB
HUBB
USER since 12/16/04
One thing that I found with people who get motion sickness, including myself is having had inner ear infections as a kid. I have gotten sea sick numerous times over the years, and the goofy thing I've noticed is it depends on the direction and span of the waves. I've been in 30 mph blows from the south on Lake Michigan or Lake Superior and felt fine. Turn that wind from the North, NW or NE and it's a different wave and a whole different feeling. Dramamine doesn't work for me, neither does the ginger. I've used the scopolamine patches, but the times I used it the seas were calm. I did get the "drugged" feeling when using it, so can't say how it would do in bigger waves. I've now resorted to not being on the big water with med to heavy winds anywhere out of the North. Green Bay is a little easier to take, but have been "green" a few times out there as well. I'll try some of these other suggestions as well. Thanks boyz.

Edited on 8/19/14 1:02 PM
Post Your Comment
8/16/14 @ 1:46 PM
rsie102779
rsie102779
USER since 4/15/04
I use the Sea Band wrist bands and have had very good luck with them. Even fished once in Green Bay for about 10 hours. Kept them on all day - driving home i took them off when passing Two Rivers - didn't take 5 minutes and i had serious motion sickness. Problem with Dramamine is that it makes me drowsy. I like the idea of the patch as well. Good luck. I also find that i get less motion sickness when there are more fish in the box - go figure. Thanks - rick

Post Your Comment
7/21/14 @ 7:01 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
I used to think I didn't get seasick until I was fishing in heavy fog with a respectable three foot swell on an otherwise smooth sea. After more than an hour pushing into the mild wind we turned to go with the wind and the boat exhaust started wafting in our faces. I broke out into a cold sweat and felt nauseous. So this is what it feels like, I thought. Some of my friends are susceptible. One told me he thought he would die, then hours later hoped that he would die. The Captain on that trip said no one has ever died from seasickness. We kept on fishing...

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 7:14 AM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
I really like candied ginger for seasickness plus they're really tasty. I make my own.peel ginger slice with mandolin. Boil in enough water to cover for 35 min. Drain but retain 1/4 cup. Weigh ginger and add equal weight sugar retained water boil til sugar recystalizes and spread over cooling rack til cooled. Tasty snack and keeps seasickness at bay.

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 6:30 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06
I second the notion of taking dramamine or motion sickness drug once before bed the eve before, and another one when you wake up just before heading out. This was recommended by a charter captain I hired on a charter off Nags Head NC a few years ago.

Lucky though, I don't get seasick.

Post Your Comment
7/18/14 @ 6:12 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Can't say I was ever goofy feeling while wearing a Scoplamine patch, but maybe a woman, smaller in weight and stature, could be more vulnerable. The only thing I notice when wearing the patch is a touch of dry mouth, which apparently is the most predominant side effect.

Post Your Comment
7/18/14 @ 7:44 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
The scoplamine patches work but be careful. When myy mother tried it she was very dopey on the water and after getting off the water. Was kind of funny but could be dangerous if you are driving.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts