Vertical Jig vs Slip Bobber for panfish

8/13/15 @ 7:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TLambo13
TLambo13
USER since 8/13/15
Hi everyone, most of my small amount of fishing experience has been casting into Lake Michigan from shore for trout and salmon, but out of wanting to try new things and learn new techniques I've recently picked up panfishing and am looking for your opinions. I've done a lot of reading up on using slip bobber setups for bluegills and crappie, but have had very little success using that setup. It seems like the ideal setup to me, but while using it, I seem to get my bait stolen very quickly with very few hooked fish. It seems that I have significantly more success just vertically jigging the same exact setup, but without the bobber, and going off of feel when the fish bites. Does anybody else have any similar experiences or advice for me? Went through a dozen waxworms in no time flat the other night without a single hookset before taking the bobber off, and was instantly bringing in handsized bluegills. Had never kept any before, just catch and release, but decided to keep a couple last night, and boy was it good eating!! Makes me wanna go back out and bring home my limit's worth!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
8/31/15 @ 12:12 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I second what SUmemrs Off said, but as the next guy said too make sure you wind up all teh slack line before settign the hook too.

Post Your Comment
8/29/15 @ 8:25 AM
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
USER since 8/28/15
On dubay we have a lot of sandy bottoms and I see a bunch of bottom fishing. What is gonna be my best bet in 15' water? Slip bobber, vertical jigging, or off the bottom like other people? I feel like a guy could miss some gills using a 1/2 oz. Or bigger sinker

Post Your Comment
8/24/15 @ 1:00 PM
dimer10
dimer10
USER since 4/29/11
Here's an article regarding vertical jigging panfish... Also a good screenshot that shows what to look for when using your locator to see what's going on. Hope that helps!

http://www.b-ybaits.com/#!Vertical-Jigging-Panfish-from-a-Boat/c1nc2/5589af5d0cf20d45521bab21

Post Your Comment
8/24/15 @ 12:34 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
with any float setup, it is imperative to have it set just slightly positive to neutral buoyancy. I also recommend braided line for this application.

Post Your Comment
8/24/15 @ 10:57 AM
Summers Off
Summers Off
USER since 5/9/06
I would try three things. First, use the lightest line possible. Triline XL in 4# test in a low visibility green is my choice for panfish. Second, use the smallest hook possible say a #10 or #12. I like a long shank as it makes it easier to unhook fish. A colored hook is a plus too. I like a red or chartreuse. Third, use a weighted bobber and a split shot above the hook. I like rubber core in 1/8 oz under a small Thill weighted bobber. Smaller is better. In general, use the lightest, smallest set up with a bobber that is weighted to barely float. That way the slightest bite is detected.

Good luck!

Post Your Comment
8/15/15 @ 7:16 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
only thing I can think of is to be sure you get the slack out of the line on your slip bobber setup... to where you feel a little tension before setting the hook ( more so if you are fishing deeper water )

unless you are using a different hook, it should work fine

Edited on 8/15/15 7:30 AM
Post Your Comment
8/14/15 @ 5:02 PM
cycleguy
cycleguy
USER since 2/8/05
To your question… make sure you have your bobber balanced well. Using as small of one as possible… or just enough weight under it so you will give the fish very little resistance. You will also see the bite and bobber move easier this way.

I tend to go without a bobber when fishing deeper water as well. Sometime, casting a slip to an edge, while casting or jigging another pole.

Post Your Comment
8/14/15 @ 1:43 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
It sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. I will use slip bobbers when they are shallow or suspended on a calm day. Alot of the lakes I fish this time of the year are big wavy lakes and the fish are generally in the 13-20 foot range on weed edges suspended off the bottom making bobber fishing a real chore. With these conditions I stick with vertical jigging with out a bobber. My prefered bait is a chunk of crawler or leeches. Sometimes I will run minnows, leeches, and worms at the same time to figure what the fish are liking the best and then switching one pole out to the prefered bait. I always have one leech pole out at all times because I seem to catch a few monster bass or walleyes while panfishing with leeches.

Post Your Comment
8/14/15 @ 12:20 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I think the float and fly is a fantastic way to catch crappies in the spring when they are up shallow. I have a rod designed for that it is about ten feet long and very light action. You can cast it a mile and it doesn't tear the hook out of a crappie like shorter rods do.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
8/14/15 @ 7:13 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
TLambo, The gills look very delicious! Before I start, I want you to know there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing. When the wife and I are targeting panfish, we first decide what type of fish we are going for depending on the area and conditions at that moment. We no longer use wax worms because we don't like baiting our hooks continuously. Every time we go out, we have leeches, Crawlers, and minnows. Leeches and crawlers for gills and perch. Which ever one they are hitting on the best at the time, we will both use it. Crappie are minnows of course, and a lot of guys use artificial bait for them also. Minnows are good for perch also. Leeches are the toughest bait. I don't use small ones because I don't want to catch small fish. The wife's go to for gills is crawlers. She really does good. She just breaks off a piece. We use slip bobbers exclusively for pan fish, but don't loose our bait all the time. I would try different bait if using Slip's and see what happens. You probably already did this but what the hey. Would like to hear about your results if you do some experimenting. Good luck!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts