Turn your boat lights on.

6/18/14 @ 4:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
People Please turn your boat lights on when you are out near or after dark. It is not only the law but for YOUR safety. When we were coming in a few nights ago shortly after dark (not going wide open) I almost Tee Boned a boat that was Walleye fishing without lights after dark. We fish a lot after dark and have never had the lights cause a problem for us so I am not sure why people don't turn them on. Thanks and have a good day. Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
6/27/14 @ 10:25 PM
greenslime
greenslime
USER since 3/10/04
BigMusky12: I think you are misinterpreting this. Even though you may be within 200ft of shore,, you are still outside of a designated anchorage or mooring area.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 9:56 PM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
As someone that does a few allnighters each year for cats & sturgeon, the light issue has always been a concern.

Last year I thought I would try those rechargeable driveway marker lights. Bingo!

They work great. I think I got them for $1-2 a piece at Fleet Farm or Target.

I have the flush mount rod holder mounts in the gunnels and the lights fit perfectly in the holes.

Post Your Comment
6/26/14 @ 12:20 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i almost killed someone in a 12 foot jon boat on the wisconsin river coming in at dark hes anchored in the channel no lights came within 50 feet of him rocked him pretty good hopefully woke him up about lights

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 6:31 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Got another hazy regulation BigMuskie. Who ever writes these regs are trying too hard too coverall the bases. If it truly is within 200 ft of shore, I don't have to turn on my white light more than half the time. It's written with too many "or's". Ha ha

Post Your Comment
6/19/14 @ 11:45 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
All Vessels When Not Underway All vessels are required to display a white light visible in all directions whenever they are moored, anchored, or drifting outside a designated mooring area or more than 200 feet from shore between sunset and sunrise

So if you are within 200 feet of shoreline you don't need your lights on?

Post Your Comment
6/19/14 @ 6:09 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I think some of the fisherman are worried about sucking all the power out of their battery. I recommend LED lights. If a fisherman is breaking the law buy turning out his white light, at least they could turn it on when they hear someone coming. A lot of guys don't like attracting all the bugs too. To each his own. At least turn it on when you hear someone.

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 12:10 PM
cycleguy
cycleguy
USER since 2/8/05
Crossing Delavan a couple years ago at 11PM, came across a guy in a canoe out in the middle of the lake. It was foggy, no moon, and he had not one light on the boat. I came way closer to him than I would have ever wanted to. Add on top of it, he started hollering as we turned around him, that we were screwing up his fishing. Idiot should have been screaming to save his life as we approached.

Edited on 6/18/14 12:12 PM
Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 11:01 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
this is from the WI boating regs

All Vessels When Not Underway

All vessels are required to display a white light visible in all directions whenever they are moored, anchored, or drifting outside a designated mooring area or more than 200 feet from shore between sunset and sunrise.

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 10:54 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
I agree, turn your lights on or be off the water before it gets dark. This just a tragedy waiting to happen.

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 10:53 AM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
USER since 4/16/11
Common Sense.when it gets dark. Turn on the lights and use them. They are there for safety. More people on water at night now. Plus when i was young,we did not use lights and stayed away from each other.But we used Common Sense and "Were young and Smart. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts