SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Trolling Motors

7/17/13 @ 1:00 PM
INITIAL POST
spudnsammyb
User since 2/4/10
I am in the market for a bow mount trolling motor with a foot pedal. A couple things to limit what I can get. I have a very short bow for attaching the motor to (less than two feet), and about a $700 budget. I have heard some pretty bad reviews about the minnkota terrova with a cracking issues. I have also heard bad things about the foot pedal of the minnkota power drive v2. I would greatly appreciate some input.
Displaying 11 to 20 of 26 posts
2/13/15 @ 10:06 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Spuds: Get a Terrova. Great footpedal. None of the cable drive hassle. And with the Terrova, you can get the spot lock feature that acts like an anchor using GPS. It even "remembers" programmed spots. You drop your boat within a hundred yards of a "saved" location, tell it to return to the spot and it will drive itself there. It also has the feature that automatically adjusts (when on constant) to account for wind and current. The remote is great, too. Often times I don't even use my footpedal when out fishing, especially for walleyes. Uncle: Get too much power versus too little. 80# should be good for a 14 footer, maybe even a little much. But your two batteries will last longer.
2/13/15 @ 9:42 AM
Uncle Otto
User since 11/23/14
Hey all, I'm going to do more fishing this year on electric motor only lakes and I was wondering how big of a trolling motor is overkill for a 14' aluminum boat?
7/6/14 @ 10:46 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
The locking collar that you adjust to set the depth of the motor can crack from over tightening or if the tightening knob gets caught in the power cord and you turn it too far. People will crack them by over tightening if they lose one of the washers that sits on the knob. Like I said earlier in this thread....it's a relatively minor issue. Epoxy it up or get a replacement for it and those are cheap. I picked up a new one just in case but the original that I epoxied works just fine.
7/6/14 @ 10:08 PM
SloppyCrappie83
User since 4/14/10
What's this cracking issue you guys are speaking of? Where does it have a tendency to crack?
6/29/14 @ 2:53 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i havent seen any cracking on my terrova
7/31/13 @ 2:09 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05
I have the Minkota power drive v2, so does my son in law, both foot pedals are junk, if you look them up, you can see there are problems with them. installed the copilot and do like that, just keep in mind it is run by a battery ;)
7/31/13 @ 9:22 AM
Wdroste
User since 7/8/09
Cabela's has the Minnkota 50 power drive v2 for $500 now. Add on the co-pilot for $149, and you have a great set up for your budget. Been using this for the last 10+ years. I have the older style foot pedal, which wasn't the best. Not sure if the new style is better, but with the copilot, you get a hand control that works very slick.
7/18/13 @ 2:09 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
haven't had a problem with terrova ever... just upgraded to 80 pound and I haven't cracked of course I didn't buy local I ordered from minnkota directly
7/18/13 @ 10:55 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Look on ebay, craigslist, or any outdoor site with a classifieds section. 12v or 24v is a good question and can drive the price one way or the other. Depending on boat size $700 might limit you on new motors to a cable driven unit. Wouldn't worry too much about those cracking issues with the Terrova. The locking collar is an issue but no big deal. It's a $15 part for a new one or a $5 tube of a epoxy so you can epoxy the snot out of it when it does crack. Mine cracked, epoxied it up, no issues. Again....depending on boat size a 55lb Terrova could be found in your price range. Right around $1,000 new but sometimes you can nab a reconditioned one or lightly used one for less than that. Getting one of those would allow you to upgrade to an iPilot later on. A PD would as well but Terrova wins out hands down simply for the fact that you can use the foot pedal and iPilot remote at the same time. Can't do that with a PD. After running a cable drive trolling motor on another boat one time there's no way I'd ever get something like that. Some guys love them and it fits their type of fishing....for what I do nothing comes close to a Terrova with iPilot....nothing.
7/17/13 @ 5:55 PM
WaveWacker
User since 6/9/11
I just weeks ago had to change out my bow mount , had a Minn kota all terrain for about 16 years . Found a 54 # thrust motor guide at fleet farm on sale for $ 420 it even used the same mounting holes. It should do just fine ,I don't fish as much as I used to .
Displaying 11 to 20 of 26 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE