Trolling Motors

7/17/13 @ 1:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
spudnsammyb
spudnsammyb
USER since 2/4/10
I am in the market for a bow mount trolling motor with a foot pedal. A couple things to limit what I can get. I have a very short bow for attaching the motor to (less than two feet), and about a $700 budget. I have heard some pretty bad reviews about the minnkota terrova with a cracking issues. I have also heard bad things about the foot pedal of the minnkota power drive v2. I would greatly appreciate some input.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
2/8/16 @ 11:13 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I love my Terrova, not sure what the cracking issues are that you are referring to though. I agree, go as big as you can within reason. If I were you, I would get a 24 volt motor. Not sure if you will get a 24 volt Terrova for $700 though.

Post Your Comment
2/8/16 @ 10:33 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
walleye guy - it is better to run two batteries through a switch instead of in parallel to get better run time. You have to think more about balancing if you run them in parallel.

You will get more runtime off a 24V trolling motor than a 12V with two batteries in parallel or switched.

the reason is the 24v will run at lower power vs 12V for same thrust.

I would never recommend anyone ever get a 12v trolling motor unless they really are not a serious fishermen.

Post Your Comment
2/7/16 @ 9:34 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Just upgraded my old trolling motor to a Minnkota powerdrive 70# with universal sonar and a Humminbird Sonar/GPS.

Did that last fall and haven't had a chance to use it. Thats on a 19' ranger. Thinking I should have gone with an 80# now. Do lots of river fishing.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 9:51 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
My boat is just shy of 18ft as well. I have an 80lb Terrova on mine. There are days I wish I had more than that. Go as big as possible and what your space and budget allow. Also, don't shy away from getting a motor with a long shaft. That Terrova of mine is 60 inches, and it's the same deal as the size...there are days when I wish it was bigger than 60.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 4:43 PM
ciezkl07
ciezkl07
USER since 11/18/09
Building off everything. How many pounds of thrust would be needed for my rig? just under 18 feet.

thanks everyone.

Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 10:36 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
14' aluminum boat, a 55# thrust should be more than adequate, and you won't have the additional weight of a 2nd battery...

one thing recommended if wiring 2 12v batteries in parallel is to be sure both batteries are matched and in same condition... I think that may have more to do with charging, but recall reading that

edit: here's an example, but you can find out more by searching

http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel

from the article : "Try to match capacities as much as possible. When connecting batteries in a pack you should try to match the capacities as much as possible to avoid discharging one battery quicker than another. A pack operates at a combined voltage so your one cell that discharges quicker will likely discharge deeper than it may be able to recover from"

Edited on 2/16/15 10:41 AM
Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 7:30 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
Yes. I run a 24 volt TM. I have 4 batteries. 2 + 2 in series then both in parallel. It's a maze of wires with the onboard chargers added in but it provides long lasting power.

Post Your Comment
2/13/15 @ 11:20 PM
bigeyes4me
bigeyes4me
USER since 10/1/08
poptop is right hooking 2-12 volt batteries in series will give you 24 volt

Post Your Comment
2/13/15 @ 8:02 PM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
to run a 12 volt troller on two batteries you would wire them parallel. not series.

Post Your Comment
2/13/15 @ 2:32 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
A plain jane Terrova doesn't have the spotlock stuff on it. For that you need to have an iPilot or iLink. I've seen people assume that all Terrovas have this so they buy them without iPilot and they think they've gotten a great deal.

My brother runs his 12v off of two batteries with no issues at all. The only thing to consider is if the second battery will upset the weight distribution/balance of your boat. Stuffing two batteries just for a 12v trolling motor into a smaller boat can really throw you off.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts