SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Trip Suggestions?

9/18/17 @ 10:38 AM
INITIAL POST
Aprilly
User since 2/27/17
Hey all. I'm looking for recommendations for a good place to go for a family fishing outing. I'm looking for a lake that's fairly secluded, and gives off a "Canada" feel to it, my family has been talking about going up to Canada for years, but I would like to stay within the states so everybody in my family could go. Preferable location would be northern Minnesota or Northern Wisconsin. My family is from the Chippewa Falls/Bloomer Area and traveling isn't a huge deal (if the trip is worth it:)). I'm looking for a lake with a wilderness feel to it, but still has cabins available for rent, as we do not have a camper. My friends and I go up to the Chippewa Flowage every year and a lake like that would be pretty cool. If there is a lake like that in the Chequamegon/Nicolet Forest areas, or around Minocqua, or in northern Minnesota, that you guys know of, that would be great! 
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
9/22/17 @ 6:38 PM
twistertom
twistertom
User since 3/16/15

Carol lake near Minocqua is terrific

9/18/17 @ 6:41 PM
bassball
User since 7/25/07

Check out Ely Minnesota very cool town remote waters with cabins and you also could take a day trip into the boundary waters.

9/18/17 @ 2:27 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I will second the Turtle Flambeau Flowage, and from personal experience, Flambeau Vista offers an excellent venue with very nice cabins (2)  in a private setting... cabins and hosts Scott and Kathy are top notch!

www.flambeauvista.com/

link to the association and map with loads of information on the TFF including accommodations, fishing, history, etc...

www.turtleflambeauflowage.com/

edit: here's a link to the Navionics Web App that should be pointing you at the TFF... you can zoom in and see details, contour lines, etc.

webapp.navionics.com/#boating@9&key=ab%60xGzafeP

on lower left corner, you can click on the round sonar icon and change to Sonarcharts for more detailed depth contours

9/18/17 @ 2:06 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Leech Lake is a great fishing lake and not that far a drive from you. Not a super Canadian feel, but it's big water and very scenic. We stay at Birch Ridge Resort on Sucker Bay on the north end. Great place. Check it out.

Or you could try Kabetogama which is a US/Canada border lake. Can't get much closer to what you're looking for.  Don't recall the name of the resort we stayed at, but there are a few.

9/18/17 @ 1:39 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The Willow Flowage north of Tomahawk is pretty rustic.  There's around 80 miles of shoreline and a very small percentage of it is developed.  There are a couple of lodges with cabins, the Willow Wood and the Bucksnort Resort.  Can't vouch for either one as I've never stayed there but have fished the Willow a few times.   

9/18/17 @ 1:03 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

If fishing is the priority of the trip I would highly recommend making the drive north of the border. There isn't anything like it. Yes Wisconsin and Minnesota can offer great fishing but Canada not only produces excellent numbers but outstanding size. If you are looking for a nice family getaway with some fishing mixed in the Presque Isle area will give you some nice solitude. The Cisco chain is also a nice body of water. You can even head up to Lake Vermilion and enjoy some nice scenery. I haven't been to the Brainerd area but its on my bucket list. From what I can tell is looks very nice there.

9/18/17 @ 10:52 AM
KenK
User since 6/19/01

It sounds like you are looking for the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.

http://www.turtleflambeauflowage.com/

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE