General Fishing Discussion

Tipping guides?

8/19/17 @ 4:36 PM
INITIAL POST
Shorefishing
User since 11/5/15

Do you typically tip a fishing guides?

If so, how much?

What if the guide is the business owner?

I enjoy guided trips but they are pricey.  Just wondering about tipping etiquette.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
7/27/18 @ 4:53 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

I always tip the guide as long as he puts some effort into our trip. The only time I wouldn't is if he wasn't helpful. If he just showed up and went through the motions, I'd probably never use him again, and I wouldn't leave a tip.

If I'd like to go out with him again, I certainly would tip. Even though most guides might say tipping isn't necessary, they remember who "stiffs" them. Next time, they may not have any openings when you call back. Also, if you tipped well last time, they will appreciate it and take good care of you when you come back.

7/27/18 @ 3:42 PM
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10

I do it, but I'm not crazy about it. Just charge what you think your time is worth and let me decide if want to hire you.

I will tip for an "above and beyond" level of service. In my mind, that is what tipping is supposed to be for. Why should you get extra just for existing or being average? 

I tip wait staff and bartenders because that is how those professions generate most of their income. The system has evolved to that. However, I would prefer that the industry just pay those people properly and just include/add that in the cost. Other cultures in the world operate that way just fine. 

I'm more open to tipping a first mate on a larger charter boat, or the dock staff at a resort. 

7/24/18 @ 12:29 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Went on a guided trip last week with a local Minnesota guide but he insisted we fish this new hot lake instead of the lake our resort was on. It was a great choice because the size and numbers of fish was great. We spent a limited time on each spot and moved eight times in 4 hours. We released the largest fish and still had plenty of eaters for the fish fry. Mr. Musky nailed it with the "learning and catching"combination a great guide will offer. I gave a well deserved tip to that guide. I also gave a Lake Michigan guide a big tip for putting up with one of my beer guzzling buddies when he had to grab my drunk overweight pal by the back of his belt when he lost his balance and appeared to be heading overboard, while fighting a fish in some big waves. Guides that have a knack for sharing their knowledge and serving up fun times deserve a tip in my opinion.

7/21/18 @ 8:32 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

BT,

Your right! Guess he started a little earlier than most. Its like a brain teaser though. Makes me want to have a few too many to decipher.

At least he's a good tipper????

7/21/18 @ 8:03 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

LOL, cut him some slack. It’s Saturday night.

7/21/18 @ 7:11 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Ihookem,

HUH? 

7/21/18 @ 5:53 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I went to Lake Erie in 1994 and dont recall. I had a guy bait bear for me in 2003 and he skinned the bear. He wasn't worth a $hiit. He skinned me bear on the ground in the dark with chicken $hitt laying all over . When I looked at the meat in the morning it was full of grass. Never got a tip and never though of tipping anyway. I am self employed carpenter I get little things here and there but very seldom much of anything. I seldom have a costomer that does not hire me back or recommend me to others so I dont think it's me. It's just that very few think of tipping a carpenter. I tip waitresses about 20%.

7/14/18 @ 9:43 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I’ve yet to come across a rich fishing guide… 

I think it is like anything else, if you had a good trip, with a guide who showed you a good day, and taught you some new things, no harm and throwing a few bucks his way 

7/14/18 @ 9:08 PM
--Scooter--
User since 8/8/09

Really. Why do they deserve a tip,for doing their job. I can see a waitress for making minimum wage but a guide is charging a premium price to take you fishing. Nope, no tip. If you want a tip start bussing tables.

7/14/18 @ 9:48 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

only hired a guide once, and I didn't even fish, was for my sons my friend to have a "day".. and they did, including a shore lunch they keep talking about... they came up with a generous tip, plus this guide came to the cottage for a beer and conversation... would do it again

if it had been someone that didn't put a thoughtful day together, can't say if there would have been a tip... tip was for the exceptional service provided

7/14/18 @ 7:23 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

A guide is providing a service and I will tip if the service is good.    Guiding is a tough way to make a living and you'll most the time be fishing with someone that is passionate at it rather than some Joe that is just working for a paycheck.  Don't let the expensive boats and gear fool you.  It doesn't mean they are rich.  While it is a tax right off, it's for the customer so they have reliable equipment and enjoy their experience.   People who refuse to tip because "it's their job"  either don't really understand the concept of service and the job itself, or don't really appreciate what they are getting(when they get a really good guide)  or it says a lot about their character.  

7/11/18 @ 12:26 PM
Jerry Ruffolo
PRO MEMBER User since 6/18/01
Most of my clients do 10% tips.  Some go as high as 20%.  I think most feel a greater tip is due based on a more successful trip.  In general, I feel no different about my clients who tip than those who do not.  I'm more concerned with whether they had fun and if they learned something new.
7/11/18 @ 7:24 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

There was BT!  

Remember the tight wads from Iowa comment??  Rikj had fun with that one - Ha! 

7/10/18 @ 11:40 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

There must be another thread on this subject because I swear I’ve left a post on tipping.  We had the most phenomenal guide I’ve ever fished with up in Canada last month and we tipped him generously at the end of each day.  He consistently out-performed himself each day as the week progressed.  I crossed off a lot of firsts on my fishing bucket list because of his over-the-top efforts.  We will be requesting him as our guide next year as part of our package at the lodge.  Say what you want but as with anything in life, you get what you pay for.

7/10/18 @ 10:58 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

IceManKimi:  I've been fortunate enough to fish with Rob on three occasions.  Great guy, I enjoyed him a ton.  Caught a ton of fish, too.  Here's the key, though, get him talking.  Some guides talk, some you gotta pull information out of.  Rob was the later.  Once he got talking, I learned sooooo much more about why we were fishing the way we were and why we were using the lures.  Get the guy talking, take mental notes and you will learn a ton.  Plus, Rob is really easy to fish with, just an even tempered guy.  Boat was always clean and in perfect condition for us.

I can't speak about Jolly or Josh...but I can highly recommend Rob Manthei to you. There may be a few guys out there that know the northwoods as well as Rob, but I'm not sure than anyone out there really knows more than him.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE