Three way swivel question-New to fishing

4/21/16 @ 2:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
chasin_white_tails
chasin_white_tails
USER since 4/26/15
Hello, I just started to fish this year and I was wondering if a 3 way swivel can be used for shore fishing or is it something that is used on boats? My target is walleye on a shallower river using minnows.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
4/29/16 @ 3:06 PM
fshnuts
fshnuts
USER since 6/12/06
A drop-shot will also work. It doesn't have the give a slip sinker rig does but it does keep it slightly off the bottom.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 11:08 AM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
If standard 3 ways are a problem for you, you can also try a t-turn swivel.

Post Your Comment
4/24/16 @ 7:17 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Another tip on 3-ways is the longer your pole, the farther you will get it out in the river. This only works if you don't have too many obstructions on shore where your casting from.

Post Your Comment
4/24/16 @ 6:47 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
check out 3-way barrel swivels and 3-way crane swivels for an alternative to your basic 3-way

Post Your Comment
4/23/16 @ 5:40 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
I have a prejudice against "three way swivels". None of the 3 line ties swivel worth a darn. The geometry is too screwed up and they're brass. Steel makes a better swivel which is why I use a small standard swivel and tie both the main line and a dropper with the weight to the front loop and tie the hook and free spinning bait on the back. If you're new to fishing you could look up some of the fishing knots in that section here on Lake-Link and tie a three way knot and fish without any hardware.

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 10:22 PM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
For live bait, from shore a slip sinker rig is better. If throwing jigs using a 3 way, boat or shore. If river fishing live bait you can cast out a 3 way rig and pull taut after it settles. When a fish takes it you give a little so the fish can drop back in the current before setting the hook. Remember the only slack you can give is the amount of the 2 leads. To increase the amount of slack you can give, you need to increase the lead length. Hope this helped.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 2:46 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
Yes you can use a three way from shore. I feel that a Lindy Rig would be a better.

Post Your Comment