The best electric fillet knife

12/18/14 @ 6:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Pocket
Pocket
USER since 10/21/10
I'm looking to buy an electric fillet knife and would like to know which is the best one and why.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
12/23/14 @ 10:43 AM
capt.spanky
capt.spanky
USER since 6/12/02
This is hands down the best I have used and now at a great price. Stronger and faster than any brand I have had over the past 40 years. This one ROCKS! http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Rapala-Heavy-Duty-Electric-Fillet-Knife Wink

Edited on 12/23/14 10:44 AM
Post Your Comment
12/22/14 @ 9:19 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
ive never had a problem with my rapala over heating but i just have the wall plug in one. my dad has the one with the different attachments for different outlets and he over heats all the time. Also i you can sharpen the rapala blades with an electric knife sharpener

Edited on 12/22/14 9:22 AM
Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 7:07 AM
cycleguy
cycleguy
USER since 2/8/05
I'll never own a Rapala again.... at least not until there is a change in them. Three total, and all would get so hot they would be hard to hold, and smell like they were melting. Rapala obviously knew it was a problem as they asked very few questions before sending a replacement.

Use Mister Twister now... much better, but the lock areas that hold the blades are made of plastic and known to fail. You'll be cleaning a fish and it seems like you have a dull knife .... then if you put resistance against the blades individually you'll see one is vibrating, but not driving back and fourth.

I have on old bread knife that I found at a rummage sale. All metal parts, better motor, that thing will out work any other knife I have ever seen.

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 6:54 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
USER since 4/16/11
Bought my Dad, a Mister Twister Brand. He lives on the Wolf River and Cleans 100's of White bass during the season. I think i bought him 2 in the last ten years and few set of blades. He loves it. At first he would not touch it. Always used a Fillet knife. He Loves them electric fillet knives now. I filleted a Northern with one and he was hooked. I only use them for Whitebass and Northern.

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 5:11 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I've literally cleaned thousands of fish over the years with my Rapala knife with absolutely zero problems.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 4:32 PM
trackerrat
trackerrat
USER since 7/12/06
A blade a year at $10 isn't really a financial burden if you ask me. Like big prop-buster I had the American Angler at one time and really liked it. I think it eventually burned up. Now I use the Mr. Twister.

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 9:29 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
bought an American Angler knife 11 years ago, replaced the blades a couple times, still going strong.

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 8:46 AM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
I have tried them all pretty much before finding that I liked the Electric Fisherman Knife the best. Had a pricey electric kitchen knife, some $50 Cuisinart that just didn't seem that good either and it went back. Elect Fisherman just felt the best in my hand, even though I thought it was gonna be the most uncomfortable, has lasted 4 years and still cutting strong, burned out a Rapala in no time - literally. Even the replacement smelled like it was burning up. Yeah, I go thru a set of blades a year, that is only $8.00, I buy them on sale & Fleet Farm always has them on sale, so not being able to resharpen is never a thought for that small amount to get a new set. I do always have a 2nd set on hand in case something happens. Once you get used to using it, you can clean fish like an assembly line, fast, fast , fast.

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 7:21 PM
netem1
netem1
USER since 12/25/12
The problem with electric fillet knifes is there is no way to sharpen them and the replacement blades cost $10 or so each. If you do a lot of fishing and catching you can figure on going through a blade a year. I have tried sharpening them myself because the factory won't do it with poor results. I've got 3 sets of blades and went back to a standard fillet knife because of this.

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 7:31 AM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
are you looking for corded or battery? Either way I would look at Rapala. If battery go for Lithium.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts