Surf Fishing In Cabo San Lucas

12/9/14 @ 8:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
muskeyhunter
muskeyhunter
USER since 10/26/04
I'm heading to Cabo in early March and was wondering if anyone on here has done any surf fishing there? I'm staying at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. There is no swimming on the beach because of the strong rip currents but I was hoping to do some fishing while my wife is sleeping in the morning. If anyone has any experience around here and could offer me some tips for baits or locations I'd greatly appreciate it!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
12/14/14 @ 12:06 AM
ultramicro
ultramicro
USER since 6/17/11
A gentleman from Minnesota used to post about his experiences surf fishing in that area on the website linked below, I believe his cybername was High Plains Drifter. I think it would be worth a search:

http:www.stripersonline.com/

Edited on 12/14/14 12:06 AM
Post Your Comment
12/12/14 @ 5:39 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
As far as lures, I took some inline spinners of varying sizes, some white/chrome spinnerbaits, some chrome/blue spoons and some differently colored swimbaits.

The spinnerbaits and swimbaits did the best for me. I remember one morning have two what appeared to be 40 lb. albacore follow my swimbait almost to my feet!

If either one of those fish had eaten my lure, they'd have spooled me for certain.....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
12/10/14 @ 6:28 AM
muskeyhunter
muskeyhunter
USER since 10/26/04
Thanks for the advise Steve. I'll be sure to double check before I hit the surf.

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 1:02 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Just make 100% certain of the regulations in that area. A couple years ago, my wife won a 5 day trip to Cancun for two. So when we went, I packed a 2 piece spinning rod, reel and a handful of lures. I asked the desk clerk if anything was required to fish the ocean in front of the hotel. He told me no, that it was perfectly fine to fish there and even gave he a suggestion on where to go. So every morning, while my wife was sleeping, I'd walk down to the beach and fish off a rocky point where I saw locals fishing all the time.

On the morning of the last day, I was coming back to the hotel when another employee saw me rinsing off my tackle in one of the beachside showers. When he asked if I'd been fishing, I said, "well yeah, and while I released everything, I'd been having a ball catching fish, some of which I didn't know what they were!"

He got a horrified look on his face and said, Don't do that again, this hotel is built in a marine preserve and if the federales saw me, I'd be put in jail! When I said, I was fishing where locals were fishing every day, he said that was all right as the locals were fishing for food and didn't have any money to bribe the soldiers!

So check carefully BEFORE you wet a line!

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment