SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Summertime Camping fishing spots

2/16/18 @ 9:25 AM
INITIAL POST
Kapshack01
User since 6/20/17

17 years old and looking forward to camping and fishing with some friends this summer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to bring a boat mostly a walleye panfish kinda guy. Fish quite a bit on lake winnebago and lake Michigan so I know my way around. Just looking for some suggestions as I know northern Wisconsin lakes have great fisheries I am just unfamiliar with them. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.  Just wanted to get this thread out early so I have some options. Thanks, good luck to everyone on the ice stay safe. 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
3/11/18 @ 7:46 PM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Evening I would highly recommend willow flowage . My Good friends and I fished for years there I think it is called Paradise Island we loved it there , High Ground no ticks then ?We fished there all the 70s Great Island many good times . Most of my friends have passed away now I had planned a trip this spring just to remember the good times miss my friends . Maybe I wont go and leave it to the young guys as we were once . All I can say is bring rain gear and a heater for the tent . and you will have a great time . We just fished every day told jokes drank some ! It is truly a great place . Maybe you will see one of my buds by the fire if your missing a couple of beers it will be Phil . 

3/7/18 @ 1:26 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

When I was about your age we did the BWCA with a few buddies. Was one of the best trips I ever had.  Dont think my back can take a week straight of the canoe life anymore tho.

The family and I do voyagers national park now.  Its awesome. Heading up again middle of June this year. Cant wait

3/6/18 @ 3:32 PM
fisher88
User since 1/21/08

Nothing against it but I seen someone posted Goose Island south of LaCross. I remember camping there once as a kid and took my boat. Dad and I were not impressed the camp ground is great and nice but the fishing wasn’t for us so much. You need to look at a map of the area and you’ll see what I mean. It’s a lot of little channels to get to the main river easy to get lost shallow and very easy to hit things. Had a very nice guy show us the way to the main river and around the campground channels but had to have the boat planed out so it would only set in 3-5 inches of water. I have a semi v flat bottom and was very nervous. But nothing against this place just not for me don’t want to start an argument. However one place that i do love fishing is the back waters by Pettybone this is a campground on the river in LaCross and I feel way more  comfortable operating my boat around there also can venture up the black river had some great panfishing in the backwaters there. 

2/21/18 @ 12:19 AM
Kapshack01
User since 6/20/17

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Had a nice guy PM me about the Willow flowage one of the first days I posted and have been looking into it since. Me and my buddies are getting excited! From what I have been seeing online the lake has a deep channel that runs throughout? If anyone has been up and has had experience with the lake any tips would be much appreciated as my only concern is banging up the boat. Hopefully the weather continues to warm up so we can get on the water soon! 

2/20/18 @ 12:04 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I agree with Bugle Trout about both Willow and Turtle Flambeau flowages. They are monstrous and loaded with boat-in campsites, very wild and beautiful. Fishin is usually pretty good. Gotta watch out for the mid lake shallow rock bars. I destroyed a prop on both those lakes. Good thing I had an extra along

2/19/18 @ 4:43 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

If you like primitive camping , check out the campsites on Lake Owen in Bayfield county . Really adventerous , try Voyageuers National park on Rainy lake , My wife and I are in our late 60's and have been using both of the spots for many years , still do .

2/19/18 @ 10:34 AM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Kapshack the fishing there is great there are launches all up and down the river also within the park itself the river is about 3 miles across there with lots of backwaters to explore , north of lacrosse is lake onalaska some of the best panfishing in the state , if you go on the wdnr site you can find river maps and launch sites good luck and have fun

2/18/18 @ 3:06 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Another couple of options are The Willow Reservoir north of Tomahawk and Sylvania Wildlife Area in the UP.  The Willow has quite a few sites that you can only access by boat.  Much like the Turtle, you gotta a be a bit careful navigating the flowage.  The crappie and walleye fishing is good.  If you have a group going, you may want to consider pooling some money andhooking up with a guide the first day.  There's a lot of water to cover.

I've never been to Sylvania but a former neighbor goes every year.  Sometimes twice a summer.  Some of the bluebells that he has brought home have been phenomenal.  Nice perch and a few walleye as well.  But I don't believe that motors are allowed so you'd have to canoe or kayak in.

2/18/18 @ 2:31 PM
doohop65
User since 2/23/10

If you like roughing it the turtle flambeau flows he has some excellent wilderness campsites and I believe they are free to use. 

It it is a massive body of water with lots of exploring to do but you can catch pretty much anything you want. 

The walleye are not not huge but the smallies are. decent panfish and lots of northern as well. 

The atmosphere is is amazing and not a lot of traffic. Don’t go there to pleasure boat though. Lots of floating lumber and stump fields. I dinged my first prop last year. 

2/18/18 @ 1:47 PM
Kapshack01
User since 6/20/17

How is the fishing? Not much of a river fisher but would be willing to give it a try. Is it out of a boat?

2/16/18 @ 11:41 AM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Goose island county park just south of lacrosse right on the river great amenities and the best 25cent hot shower around

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE