Summer Weight Rain Suit

5/27/14 @ 12:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
My good old summer weight, Guide Wear is finally shot. I haven't been in the market for a nice rain suit in a while. I had planned on getting some more Guide Wear but had a little sticker shock. They are about $600 for the whole suit now. Is there anything else out there that I should look at? I need something in that class. Thanks.Mrt
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
6/10/14 @ 10:32 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier suit came today. It appears to be the real deal. It had quality zippers with big teeth and seems to be made very well. The fabric appears to be heavy enough to withstand a few years of hard use. The design also seems well thought out. The zippers on bibs go way up the sides so they can be put on easily without taking off your shoes. This saves on wet socks. The zippers on the legs were smaller but they operated easily. They have a double Goretex construction. If they happen to leak Bass Pro will back them up. Cabelas lost this round. Their offerings were substandard compared to this suit and as compared to my last suit that I bought from Cabelas. I hope they get back to providing quality gear and stop cutting corners. The Bass Pro suit was $400 as compared to the 25% off sale price of $450 at Cabelas. I hope this helps anyone else looking for a good suit. Mrt.

Edited on 6/10/14 10:33 AM
Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 7:36 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Toad Togs are ok for the occasional use but they wouldn't stand up to hugging 50 sheapshead like we have to on some trips. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 3:07 PM
esox102
esox102
USER since 12/26/08
frog togg makes a nice lite weigh suit cheap 30bucks jacket and pants

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 2:03 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I don't think Carhart makes a breathable waterproof suit nor do I think they are real popular with ice fisherman any more after the more high performance suit came out.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 2:01 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
In April I purchased the Cabelas Bass Angler suit in grey because it was light weight and backed by the Cabelas guarantee. Wore it for a week straight out in Erie fishing and plenty since then and couldn't be happier with the performance.

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 9:23 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I tried and tried. Just didn't like the Cabelas offerings. I went there 3 times trying to find what I wanted. Couldn't find the quality I was looking for. I checked out Bass Pro Shop. I ordered the Pro Qualifyer stuff. It was a little less than Cabelas [$400 VS $474> and looked to be good stuff. Let you know when it gets here. Free shipping and no sales tax didn't hurt either. Mrt

Post Your Comment
6/2/14 @ 10:08 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
RATS. The GuideWear Extreme is going back!!! I put the suit on this week-end and the cheap little zipper, on the coat, jammed in the first 3 inches. I fiddled with it for 5 minutes after that. They are junk! If you need to put on your suit, often times speed is an issue. I can't spend $450 for a suit that the zipper sticks. BAD DESIGN. I went to Cabelas last week thinking I would get the Bass Fishing suit but switched over to the Extreme because it appeared to be a better suit. When I had the problem, I checked the reviews. Others had the same opinion. I think the Bass angler's suit had the same zipper. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/29/14 @ 5:21 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Look at Guide Gear. Doesn't cost an ungodly amount, and they have great rain jackets that are not too hot. I tested mine out Monday and don't have any complaints.

Post Your Comment
5/28/14 @ 9:21 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Went to Cabelas last night. There is a big sale on rain gear. 25% off and a voucher for $25 per item. Looked at the Bass Anglers model first. It seemed like the fabric was almost rubberized and thin. I was concerned about ripping it.They had the same deal for the Guide Wear Extreme. That was what I bought. Slightly heavier than the Bass Anglers gear. Looked and felt more durable. Has cuffs. The fabric appeared to be thicker and more like cloth than rubber. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps somebody. Mrt.

Post Your Comment