Sucker Fishing

4/17/15 @ 1:48 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FishHunt47
FishHunt47
USER since 6/10/14
Hi I've never sucker fished before. There I said it. I have 3 dams in my area and all of my friends are begging me to go. Apparently they're running upstream. I'll be honest, I have no use for suckers. But I'm always willing to have something tug back on the other end of my line! Anyways my question here is what use for a set-up/bait/hooks? How you do it? Tips? What you use them for if you even have a use? Past experiences? Any info at all would be awesome! Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
4/23/15 @ 5:45 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Might have to check into that. Thanks Bugle.

Post Your Comment
4/23/15 @ 3:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
svitreum,

I know that many river systems in WI have redhorse as well as white suckers. We used to catch a mix of both in small creeks that fed into the WI River when I attended UWSP.

I grew up on a creek that fed into Lake Michigan and we got a nice run of them every spring. I'm nearly positive that those were all white suckers. I'd guess that they'd be in the tributary rivers and creeks right now.

Post Your Comment
4/23/15 @ 2:41 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Anyone here smoke suckers? Im thinking about trying new fish this year just for the heck of it.

Post Your Comment
4/23/15 @ 2:29 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I grew up in Central PA and vividly remember the white suckers in the mountain trout streams. They were damn near impossible to catch, were spookier than the trout, and were absolutely delicious. The meat was sweet and bone white. I just headed, gutted and scaled them, and wrapped them in foil with butter and spring onions. Then buried them in the campfire coals and waited/salivated for about an hour. Way better than the trout even. All I see around here are the redhorse, and I am reluctant to try them baked in the way I used to. Are there any runs of white suckers in clean, clear water in S.E. Wisconsin?

Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 7:32 PM
Duke M
Duke M
USER since 1/12/09
Fishhunt47, if you do get into some suckers, they are good eating. Yes the bones make them a little more challenging, and they are not glamorous, but they are fine eating. We prefer to can them, either like tuna, or lightly smoked then canned. Once canned they can be used in many ways. All of those small bones are gone, dissolved by the heat. pressure, and acids, used in the canning process. I've eaten it straight from the jar on crackers, in casseroles, as patties with egg, bread, onion, and red or green peppers. I have friends with a large family in northern MN who actually get about 500 lbs. each Spring from their DNR and can them all.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 1:57 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
We hit the sucker/redhorse run every year when I was in college. I'm assuming that you'll be fishing current since you're near a dam. Our setup was a modified Wolf River Rig. Three way swivel. One to the rod, one to a 2-3 foot leader with a plain hook and one to however many washers we needed for it to stick to the bottom. As I mentioned, we were in college and a bagful of washers from the local Fleet Farm were a lot cheaper than bell sinkers. Put a glob of worms on the hook and cast it out.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 1:43 PM
ultramicro
ultramicro
USER since 6/17/11
This link and website might be of value: http://www.roughfish.com/content/sucker-spawning-chart

Post Your Comment
4/19/15 @ 11:29 AM
pew.hunter
pew.hunter
USER since 9/18/02
Fishhunt where you located? Looking to some to smoke.willing to share. Can message me

Post Your Comment
4/19/15 @ 10:44 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
ayeFeesh just about wrote the book on suckers right there. Not much more to say on how to catch them. My dad used to can them too.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
4/17/15 @ 7:09 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Worms on the bottom. Pretty basic stuff.

Smoke 'em, pickle 'em or mince them up and make fish patties.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts