SEXING A WALLEYE?

4/28/14 @ 2:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
pollockalope
pollockalope
USER since 6/30/08
How do u tell the difference between a male and a female walleye? or any fish for that matter???
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/30/14 @ 3:15 PM
scrub
scrub
USER since 8/15/06
Generally speaking the largest fish your catching in any water body are females. Females get longer and bigger faster. For the specific body of water your on letting the bigger ones go usually means your letting female fish go.

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 10:37 AM
willy
willy
USER since 8/5/01
Pretty tough unless its spawning time. I am not sold on its a female if its over 20 inches. I have cleaned plenty of fish over 20 inches from lake Erie that were males. I am surprised at how large some males do get. Very easy to tell when you are cutting them open. Just need to know what you are looking at. The male/female thing is important in small systems but In large systems like Erie/green bay its not that important. Spawning success is more dependent on environmental factors not number of large females. Just a few females can produce huge hatches but survival is Dependant on environmental factors.

Post Your Comment
4/28/14 @ 7:06 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Like WV said, pretty much anything over 20" is usually a female walleye.

Post Your Comment
4/28/14 @ 3:51 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
On a mature muskie you can. If you look at the anal area, the eggs/sperm come from the opening closest to the tail. If that hole is bigger than the other (anal opening) then its a female as the eggs need a bigger hole to exit the body cavity than it would for sperm.

Photo Example Click Here

Post Your Comment