Searching for vacation lake

3/12/16 @ 8:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Shouldagotem
Shouldagotem
USER since 3/12/16
I am from Pennsylvania and I am looking for a lake in southern to mid Wisconsin where I could rent a cottage for a family vacation. Somewhere we could relax on the waters edge,dock a boat and do some fishing. My dad always took me to Canada and I would like to do the same for my grand-kids. My daughter lives in Indiana so southern to mid Wisconsin would be a decent drive. I presume these type lakes like I described are available. If so could someone point me in the right direction? I know nothing about Wisconsin so I would appreciate any help.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
5/4/16 @ 11:00 AM
Koon44
Koon44
USER since 5/22/14

Ok I'll stick to what you asked for in southern to central Wisconsin. Southern: Lake Geneva will provide great fishing, Boating and shopping for the ladies. Central: Lake Wisconsin and Castle Rock are both great fisheries that are within a 30 minute drive to the Dells again shopping also water parks for the kids. 1 last good choice would be lake Winnebago.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 7:08 AM
PalmerTenderfoot
PalmerTenderfoot
USER since 3/7/16
I'll stick to what you're asking for, but agree that Northern Wi is my preference as well, but I'm biased having a place up there.

Here's a link to resorts in Central Wi. Lake Winnebago and the Wisconsin River (as well as Lake Dubay) are very good for fishing.

http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/wisconsin/central-wisconsin.html

Post Your Comment
3/29/16 @ 7:43 PM
Turtle Flambeau Flowage Association
Turtle-Flambeau Flwg Assn
USER since 12/23/11
Please consider the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage for your vacation destination. 95% of the shoreline on 19,000 acres of water with nearly 200 islands are state owned and pristine.

Click our signature below to access our website for area information on lodging, food and guides, along with ordering a free map.

Come and enjoy Wisconsin's Scenic Wilderness Waters Area with no passport required!

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 9:00 PM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10
Central Wisconsin is farm country. As almost everyone else has said, Northern Wisconsin is where you want to go. Woods, waters and wildlife. It is well worth a little bit longer drive. In addition to the lakes, there are plenty of nice restaurants to take the wife and family. Minocqua has grocery stores, gift shops, and tourist type recreation if the family tires of the quiet lake living.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 8:20 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
MEMBER since 12/11/01
Here is a place you might like staying at. http://www.stgermainlodge.com/

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 7:04 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
If you're looking for "canada like" experience then really you have to go north of Highway 8. In the summer the wolf river is a zoo and honestly really nothing for scenery (compared to up north).

Minocqua, Eagle River, St. Germain....these are the places I would start looking. Plenty of resorts, cabins, rentals in these areas and much more relaxing.

Go the extra 2 hours north you won't regret it.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 6:15 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
At the very least you may want to get yourself in the central part of the state.

A previous poster mentioned Bluetop on the Winnebago system. Bluetop is a great suggestion as are many places on the Wolf. If you want more info feel free to shoot me a PM.

The Wolf (Winnebago) is really a unique waterway - you can go 80 miles in either direction and don't have to worry about "big water" unless you want too. If you go up river toward New London you get the backwoods feel with great scenery, if you go down river toward Fremont you get houseboats, Donzi's, and everything in between. I think the coolest part is all the river beaches to bum around on.

For me the Wolf is one of the better waterways in the State. Always fun things to do. I could recommend some spots in the Southern part of the State too, but in the end I think you'd be disappointed.

If your looking for the "Canada" feel you need to venture North to Vilas County. In Vilas there are a 100 places you'd feel at home. Crystal clear water, tall pines, crisp air - just great.

It is all in what you are looking for... Feel free to shoot me a PM

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 4:56 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I agree with John and others. Up nord is where it is! Just opinion, but I think it would win a vote.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 4:48 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
You can find what you're looking for if you find it now; however, I am with the others, suck up the extra drive time, and go somewhere North of 10.

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 7:48 AM
wallybeav
wallybeav
USER since 11/6/08
Here is the best place to stay. Beautiful clean big cabins and Partridge Lake and the Wolf River for fishing and boating. Located in Central Wisconsin. Been going there for over 20 years.

http://www.bluetopresort.com/

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts