MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 4:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,773 posts
11/5/19 @ 1:42 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
7/10/19 @ 7:25 AM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Grew up 3 blocks from the lake right by the filtration plant “metro”

We spent our summers fishing for salmon, trout, and yes perch. We lived down there the entire summer. Everything has changed and in my opinion for the worse. Everyone wants to blame someone or something for the decline but it is mighty hard to find an answer that will stick for Lake Michigan. I have fiends who still catch plenty of perch but I have given up. 

I will blame the decline on the wolves but it’s more than likely related to something else. 

6/27/19 @ 12:29 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Billions of emerald shiners were available in the harbors in the 60s.  There had to be plenty of food for them until the alewife infestation in the mid 60s.  After that a slow and steady decline.    CARPIO 

6/27/19 @ 9:19 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

Zebra mussels combined with people taking ridiculous amounts of fish is probably what did it. When you have people harvesting insane amounts of fish and the fish cannot survive as fry due to the lack of phytoplankton, it will crash the population

6/27/19 @ 6:43 AM
Carpio
Carpio

No limit on perch in 50s , 60s.    CARPIO 

6/16/19 @ 8:43 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Zebra Mussels had an impact on the perch also by filtering out the plankton the perch fry needed.

6/15/19 @ 8:23 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Dirty? Water= more nutrients = more plankton = more food = more perch?   Years ago it was said that there was way too much phosphorus in the water.  This led to a change in the makeup in detergents that ultimately ended up in the lake.   But by reducing the phosphorus it vastly reduced the amount of nutrients in the water. When the alewives were accidentally introduced into the lake they started to overcome the food chain. This, I believe, is one of the main reasons for the current downturn in perch fishing.    CARPIO 

6/14/19 @ 7:45 PM
Carpio
Carpio

If perch are caught in Chicago and in Michigan why aren’t they up here?   CARPIO 

5/17/19 @ 8:43 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Last time I fished a Chicago (I was in my kayak fishing early season coho), we found a body. Doubt I'll be back anytime soon, but that late season perch fishing is insane.

Here's an update that was recently released

https://mdnrlmfmp.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/yellow-perch-and-inshore-fish-annual_2019.pdf

5/17/19 @ 7:35 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I’m with you on that, plus add Milwaukee to that list. Every person in the city of Milwaukee has indirectly taken a dump into the Milwaukee harbor.

5/17/19 @ 12:37 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16
The perch fishing is always good at Chicago Navy pier November thru Late January. Every year. Nothing new here...
1/8/19 @ 4:48 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I've heard reports of people catching quite a few around Chicago still.  Chicago river and calumet channel to be specific.  They were on fire at Navy Pier until the big storm around Thanksgiving which muddied up the water and scattered them.

1/2/19 @ 5:48 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

The fish will be bred and raised indoors in tanks that resemble hot tubs in a vacant downtown building, said Ken Webb, a research associate at the university. Small fingerlings will be sold to fish farmers, who will raise the fish until they’re large enough to eat.

tommy never said anything about hot tubs.  I would have been all in if he had ........

1/2/19 @ 5:24 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/05/wisconsin-researchers-work-to-breed-yellow-perch/ 

Walranger5 (tommy) may have been on to something............

7/31/18 @ 1:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio

He’s not Jay Reed that’s for sure! Reed would snoop around by the lake and check things out for himself.    CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,773 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE