Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 3:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,765 Posts
1/8/19 @ 3:48 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I've heard reports of people catching quite a few around Chicago still.  Chicago river and calumet channel to be specific.  They were on fire at Navy Pier until the big storm around Thanksgiving which muddied up the water and scattered them.

Edited on 1/8/19 3:50 PM
Post Your Comment
1/7/19 @ 6:53 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Has anybody been catching perch lately on the big pond? Curious, and everyone would love to hear about it.

Post Your Comment
1/3/19 @ 8:22 PM
jcc
jcc
USER since 4/6/14

Can't wait for summer.The 2015 year class should be about 9" this summer.There were two huge hatches in 2015,2016.Caught hundreds of small perch last summer.

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 6:37 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I miss that guy. He was very passionate about his beliefs. 

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 6:12 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Something did come up about bath tubs or Toms bath tub. Maybe not hot tubs. Wally loved him some perch! 

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 4:48 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
USER since 3/30/15

The fish will be bred and raised indoors in tanks that resemble hot tubs in a vacant downtown building, said Ken Webb, a research associate at the university. Small fingerlings will be sold to fish farmers, who will raise the fish until they’re large enough to eat.

tommy never said anything about hot tubs.  I would have been all in if he had ........

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 4:24 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/12/05/wisconsin-researchers-work-to-breed-yellow-perch/ 

Walranger5 (tommy) may have been on to something............

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 12:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

He’s not Jay Reed that’s for sure! Reed would snoop around by the lake and check things out for himself.    CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 10:42 AM
jcc
jcc
USER since 4/6/14

I read the journal article.Don't know what's up with that.Have caught hundreds of perch this summer just very few keepers.Why does he always blame mussels?Never mentions the DNR let the lake get netted out of perch in the 1990's.Also have seen tons of 2-3 perch in the rocks.

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 6:52 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09

Those numbers of alewives aren't accurate... I've had conversations with the guy who actually does the trawling. No doubt the numbers are down historically and are low - but the trout and salmon in the lake are surviving very well. I even pulled a 7" alewife out of a 24" coho (one of 12 alewives in this cohos belly). I don't think we're out of the woods yet. We've gotten extremely lucky we haven't had a harsh winter in a few years. That could've finished the alewives off. I'd still love to see the lake trout stocking stop, but that's a different conversation.

Anyways, back to perch. Don't think this article has been posted yet... Not looking good.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/834668002

Edited on 7/31/18 6:54 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,765 Posts