Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 3:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,758 Posts
7/31/18 @ 12:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

He’s not Jay Reed that’s for sure! Reed would snoop around by the lake and check things out for himself.    CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 10:42 AM
jcc
jcc
USER since 4/6/14

I read the journal article.Don't know what's up with that.Have caught hundreds of perch this summer just very few keepers.Why does he always blame mussels?Never mentions the DNR let the lake get netted out of perch in the 1990's.Also have seen tons of 2-3 perch in the rocks.

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 6:52 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09

Those numbers of alewives aren't accurate... I've had conversations with the guy who actually does the trawling. No doubt the numbers are down historically and are low - but the trout and salmon in the lake are surviving very well. I even pulled a 7" alewife out of a 24" coho (one of 12 alewives in this cohos belly). I don't think we're out of the woods yet. We've gotten extremely lucky we haven't had a harsh winter in a few years. That could've finished the alewives off. I'd still love to see the lake trout stocking stop, but that's a different conversation.

Anyways, back to perch. Don't think this article has been posted yet... Not looking good.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/834668002

Edited on 7/31/18 6:54 AM
Post Your Comment
4/24/18 @ 8:21 AM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03

This says it all --- record weights in chinook that hadn't been seen in years, intense lobbying not reducing stocking no's of chinook in Wi, (successful). Maybe not such a good idea? Toss in the Quaggas, not looking good.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/02/21/smith-alewife-hit-record-low-lake-michigan-2017/356786002/

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 9:04 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

Jason, I was just talking about how walleye numbers are dropping in areas (a great example is Minnesota's Mille Lacs), due to over fishing and, I believe, mismanagement. Lowered bag limits and size limits on some Wisconsin lakes proves it. 

I watch some or these shows and guys are boating 12 inchers where's there's no minimum...it just concerns me.

I've been fishing in Ontario where they've had a slot since the early 80s and fishing has gotten much better. 

EDIT: Sorry, I didnt intend to make this a Walleye discussion.

Edited on 4/23/18 9:06 PM
Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 5:18 PM
Jason Woda
trophy hunter
USER since 9/1/01

I agree. And yes commercial harvest(some illegally) put a huge dent into lake Michigan's perch population. Add that to how much the lake has changed? Not sure if perch will ever recover, considering how strict regs have been over the last 15 years. If they were to rebound I figure it would have happened already. They have had ample time. However I don't know what you are speaking of with the walleyed? Am I missing something? 

(414) 384.8096
Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 3:56 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

So, from what I've read the past years on this subject but never posted, my OPINION is...they were (and are) over-fished. Period.

It happened and is happening here on Lake Mendota, which was considered nationally as "A Perch Factory". 

I dont think hook and line panfishing can deplete a species on Lake Michigan with a bag limit (except for cheating and poaching), so however much commercial (not charter) fishing was or is going on, had to really dig into the perch numbers. 

Let's face it, what species do the majority of the anglers like to eat? Perch and Walleye, and look what's happening to Walleye.

I click on Submit with hesitation 

Edited on 4/21/18 3:59 PM
Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 10:05 AM
Jason Woda
trophy hunter
USER since 9/1/01

Tom has been located! These pics aren't his real name either. I will keep that private

Edited on 4/21/18 10:10 AM
(414) 384.8096
Post Your Comment
4/13/18 @ 1:08 PM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09

Haven't tried... I know I've got some buddies who slay them down in Illinois at certain times in the year.  Here's a somewhat recent publication on the "Status of Yellow Perch in Lake Michigan 2016-2017".  To sum it up - don't expect to catch many perch around Milwaukee anytime soon.  

mdnrlmfmp.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/statusofyellowperchlm2016-2017.pdf

Post Your Comment
4/13/18 @ 7:03 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Anybody catching any Perch on the Big Pond? Global Cooling could be the cause of Small 5 gl bucket-fulls?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,758 Posts