North Dakota fishing trip

2/5/16 @ 9:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jtruini
jtruini
USER since 2/5/16
My buddy and I are planning our first-ever fishing trip to North Dakota. We'll be coming out in late-May for three days of fishing for walleye and northern pike. We're thinking about fishing one or two days with a guide on Lake Sakakawea, and then another a day or two on Devil's Lake. Does that make sense or are we better off staying in one place? And which spot would be better to fish for two days, as opposed to one? Are there other lakes to consider? We're coming from pretty far away (Connecticut and Alabama) so we'd like to make the most of our trip. Thanks for any suggestions. See you on the water!--Joe T.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
2/16/16 @ 9:32 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
I would look at Devils Lake. That time of year you can fish pretty much any way you want to from drifting to casting or jigging. If the wind comes up you can usually get away from it and still fish. There are lots of places to stay or guides to choose from that can take care of you.

If you want a change of pace just come 90 miles east for some trophy channel cats in the Red River. (Just putting it out there.)

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
2/8/16 @ 3:15 PM
walleyerod
walleyerod
USER since 7/9/08
Fished both places many times and both should be great fishing end of May. If you go to Sakakawea, the Van Hook arm is hard to beat that time of year. B-bouncers, jigs, cranks, live bait rigs - all will work depending upon wind, weather, water conditions, temp, etc. Devil's lake will be good end of May as well. Same presentations, maybe more casting and/or pitching presentations on Devils. Big water - big waves and strong prairie winds very possible in the spring. Count on a wind day, just like a great lakes trip. Personally, with limited time, I would pick one, and learn it. It may take a day or two to figure the bite out and just when you get it figured out, you leave. Just my opinion. Have Fun & Good Luck!

Post Your Comment
2/8/16 @ 2:11 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
Or try Hotspotoutdoors ;)

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 1:38 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
might be better served if you asked the question on the North Dakota fishing forums thread on LL...

Post Your Comment