MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Moon phases and fishing

3/17/19 @ 8:15 PM
INITIAL POST
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Curious to hear others thoughts,stories and theories...

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/20/19 @ 4:43 PM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01

I musky fish mostly nights and follow the moon phases religiously. I always make sure I'm on a spot that holds fish when the moon is coming up after dark. Had a friend who didn't believe me years back and we went out fishing. The first night sure enough I caught a fish right as the moon came over the horizon. Went out the next night and again right when the moon came up I got a fish. The third night the moon had just come up and he commented OK show me now, no sooner than the words came out of his mouth and bang I got one for the third night in a row on moon rise. The moon always comes up 20+ mins or so later each night and I always keep the exact times handy. You also need to be on a good night lake and a spot that holds fish. Never did quite as well on moon sets but I never miss a full moon rise when possible.      

3/20/19 @ 2:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

there's studies on saltwater  with tides etc being a factor

This is a good read, including a "non-scientific" study and results

An interesting blurb

"Some theorists feel that invertebrate movements are related to solunar productivity and that these tiny creatures move and become more vulnerable depending on moon phase, leading to increased activity by species that feed on them. Their activity might, in turn, encourage feeding by walleyes, bass, pike, muskie, and other predators."

in-fisherman.com/editorial/understanding-moon-phases-moon-phase-can-point-best-times-fish/155854

3/20/19 @ 12:52 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

My personal experience is that Lake Michigan salmon/trout fishing is markedly better around the new moon phase. Weather/water temp/currents play a larger role of course, but if the weather is supportive, the new moon is always good to me.

3/20/19 @ 10:32 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

KenK, please show ANY SCIENTIFIC studies that show any connection between moon phases and freshwater fish. I know there are a lot of anecdotal articles supporting the connection, but no scientific studies have ever shown any connection. 

3/19/19 @ 1:36 PM
KenK
User since 6/19/01

There is a whole lot of evidence to support increased activity during moon phases.  My favorite time for muskies is with full moon rise that is correlated to sunset.  That is magic time.  The book is by John Alden Knight the creator of the solunar tables.

3/19/19 @ 1:08 PM
shootthepuck
shootthepuck
User since 5/22/08

CARPIO-

thanks!  I knew it was somebody on here that brought up that book (my memory isn’t what it used to be).  I’m going to get that book.

stp

3/19/19 @ 12:01 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Puck.     That was me and that is the title of the book. Do your self a favor and buy it.     CARPIO 

3/18/19 @ 5:01 PM
shootthepuck
shootthepuck
User since 5/22/08

I don’t track when I catch fish, but the more I see fishing shows on tv and read about the moon phases, the more I am a believer in how moon phases affect fishing and wildlife.

Somebody once told me of a book related to how the moon affects wildlife.  I believe it is called Moon Up-Moon Down. I’ve not yet read it, but am tempted to buy it.

stp

3/18/19 @ 10:20 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Awesome,keep em coming!!!

3/18/19 @ 9:06 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I will second the Christmas full moon for early ice eyes! You almost think you’re in Canada fishing because it can be that good! I am fascinated with the moon and it’s effects on all wildlife! 

3/18/19 @ 8:56 AM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

I always try to fish the new moon around Christmas for early ice walleyes. Have had some days where the best bite is 10AM-2PM on a crystal clear body of water.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE