DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

mobile Navionics vs GPS vs Depth/gps combo

1/31/15 @ 2:31 PM
KirtHt
User since 8/31/12
What are looking to do with it, besides the obvious. The data on the mobile app will be the same on the the Navionics sonar/gps map cards.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
3/20/19 @ 6:30 PM
Duckchew
User since 8/6/18

Like to thank Kevin Rutherford The hummingbird GPS/fish finder,he sold . keep on fishing my friend thanks again.love lake link thanks

11/14/18 @ 12:21 PM
KirtHt
User since 8/31/12

I have a couple videos on using the app, this was done before the multiple depth shading 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_5yL3zqXg&t=21s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFG1wgxSMQY&t=56s

11/14/18 @ 8:54 AM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

bwankowski...yes sir and I was thinking of getting the IPAD myself.

11/14/18 @ 7:12 AM
bwankowski
User since 5/5/14
I use both and a lot of guys are starting to mount ipad on their dash. The app now allows contour shading for different zones and also allows the user to adjust water depth. So if you're fishing down south and they drop the reservoir 25ft for the winter you can adjust it. If you go on youtube and look up Josh Douglas fishing he has a lot of good navionics videos and I know there are a few with the phone app also.
11/13/18 @ 5:51 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

Hello Tim....Contours should be the same. When using the phone app always go to the menu and click on "Update All" every time you go on the app. On your plotter using a chip you must also go to the Main Menu under the Chart section and if using a Hummingbird you want to select "Fish N Chips" and what slot side the chart it is. This will give you the 1 ft contour. Other make of plotters have different procedures. Check the Navionics website for further details and email: [email protected] 

Hope this clears things up for you. Send me a private message if I can help you out further with #Navionics. 

11/13/18 @ 12:55 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I love the Navionics app on my phone, use it frequently to pre-fish from home.  The new colored depths is great, and helped me locate some new potential locations.  However I think the apps on our phone vs. the chip is different.  I fish Lake Winnipeg a couple times a year, my buddy has an old iPhone with the app that shows some interesting contours on Winnipeg that did not show up on my Android Phone.  So I bought the Chip for US & Canada.  Still contours don't show up on my unit.  Then I switched to an iPhone for different reasons. Still don't have the contours that my buddy has, I was disappointed.  I did however upgrade to the colored depth versions and that is great.  It helped me find an area on my phone that I don't think is on my chip either.  Will be firing that up soon to verify.  Other than that, its a great app!!

10/26/18 @ 12:31 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

The Navionics mobile app now has the depth color shading which is awesome.

2/1/15 @ 3:22 PM
py buck
PRO MEMBER User since 6/1/05
Paddler, I have both locator/gps on my boat and the app on my smartphone. The unit in my boat stays in the boat. The smartphone app is very helpful during ice fishing season. They are identical just the smartphone is more mobile. If you can only get one I would go with smartphone.
2/1/15 @ 2:46 PM
KirtHt
User since 8/31/12
KirtHt, Thanks for the input. Yes, I currently have an Vexilar Fl8 that I use for ice fishing, and have a Humminbird LCD on my boat. I've had other depth finders over the years. Up until now I've just used a simple hand held Garmin e-trex to record waypoints and it has served me well so I'm just trying to justify upgrading. I'm still one of those with a fossil flip phone although I realize there are definite advantages to a smart phone. Please don't spend too much time thinking about this. I know what I need to do, and that is break out the wallet and go shopping! Thanks again! I see where you are going, if you get a smartphone the Navionics mapping app is the same info as the map cards. You can preview the lake maps on the Navionics web app on the their website. I use my app for ice fishing and it works awesome, get a otter box and the float case to protect your phone. It works just like if not better than a traditional handheld gps in my opinion. The Navionics website explains the app pretty darn good, but get the 9.99 app or 14.99 if you go to Canada then get the advanced map option and Route upgrades.
2/1/15 @ 2:39 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
KirtHt, Thanks for the input. Yes, I currently have an Vexilar Fl8 that I use for ice fishing, and have a Humminbird LCD on my boat. I've had other depth finders over the years. Up until now I've just used a simple hand held Garmin e-trex to record waypoints and it has served me well so I'm just trying to justify upgrading. I'm still one of those with a fossil flip phone although I realize there are definite advantages to a smart phone. Please don't spend too much time thinking about this. I know what I need to do, and that is break out the wallet and go shopping! Thanks again!
2/1/15 @ 6:07 AM
KirtHt
User since 8/31/12
Have you checked out the SonarPhone? it combines the App with a vexilar sonar. The app is cheap 10.00, 20.00 if you get the add ons which i rec. Advance map options and route. I use it to compliment my sonar. I am still confused as to what you are looking for? Do you have a sonar now? How do you plan on using it? Pretty hard to find a sonar without a built in GPS. You could buy a sonar with a built in gps and use the base map which lacks detail then us the mobile app which has the go d stuff form Navionics for its detail.
2/1/15 @ 5:28 AM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
I guess I am looking for a comparison between using a phone with an app vs a depth finder /gps combo.Thanks for the help!
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE