SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Major league fishing

2/17/18 @ 5:37 PM
INITIAL POST
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

Watched major league fishing today.or should I say the Aaron Martins show.   there was Aaron Martins and the rest of the field battling out with each other.   There sure were some nice smallmouths.

I like the format of the show now ,no measuring just weigh the fish and release them right away.   More tournaments should be done this way if possible. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
2/23/18 @ 12:15 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I think it is due to the fact that us people up here are more focused on walleye, so the bass are not targeted as much. If you talked to the average angler he could not tell you which fish is a large mouth and which is a small mouth bass. Add to that the food source we have with gobies, we will continue to grow monster small mouth bass, if they are released.

2/23/18 @ 11:43 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

it seems like they caught more nice size bass when they went to Michigan.  I don't know if it's because of the time of year ,the lake or if the fish down south are just more pressured.

2/22/18 @ 3:25 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I fling fish into the boat or onto shore all the time.  I have never injured a fish.

2/22/18 @ 1:55 PM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

One show that really pushed products is pro team journal. I watched it for a while every other sentence had the name of the lure.  I turned that show off pretty quick.

2/22/18 @ 12:38 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Of course Joe made that comment, he is selling Frabill Conservation nets. His show is an infomercial.

He is actually peddling his guitar playing CD’s now too!

2/22/18 @ 11:02 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

I like the show and the way it's run.  The weigh and release would work for big tournaments. You would have to have an official in each boat. 

that format wouldn't work for small local tournaments. 

On Joe Boucher's show he made a comment that they should use nets to land the fish rather than slinging the fish into the boat.  

2/21/18 @ 7:00 PM
Slab Daddy
Slab Daddy
User since 6/16/14

I totally agree, that is the best fishing show on TV these days.

2/21/18 @ 8:17 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I was a member of a couple of bass clubs over the years. I have always supported a good way of instant release. The first club that we tried it with we had problems with all of the scales being equal. We had a five pound weight that we used to calibrate each scale. So we wound up with a plus, or minus factor per pound for each scale/boat. It worked well for a while, but then there were those who wanted to show off their catch. So when we elected a new president of the club that went away and we went back to killing fish.

The second club was even worse. They were killing fish at every club event, if they even caught a bass. This club had twenty members where most of them never caught a bass. My second year in the club I was asked to be the tournament director. I told them that I would, but I wanted to change the format to a paper tournament. At that time the minimum legal length for a bass was12”. It was amazing how much these fishermen improved. It was like a “Opra” tournament, everybody had a limit. I had so many disagreements with my boat partners in the length of their fish. Every 11 1/2” fish became 12”. In one case I went in to use the restroom and my boat partner had caught two 12” bass while I was in there.

So, for this to work in a fishing club, or a tournament where cash is on the line, you would need an independent boat marshal in the boat just like they have.

I’m not saying that all fishermen lie and cheat, but as soon as you attach a monetary amount, or a trophy to a contest, the game changes for some.

I suppose you could have a picture format, but then it would be who’s got the longest arm....if you get my drift. LOL

2/21/18 @ 2:51 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

That's the best way, weigh the fish and release right away ,rather than carrying them around in the livewell all day.  then they take the fish and hold them up in front of the crowd. how many bass die that way. 

2/20/18 @ 3:34 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I like the show.  The weigh and release is definitely the way things should be.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE