Lowrance HDS 10 flickers off and on

4/19/15 @ 7:46 PM
ORIGINAL POST
#1laker
#1laker
MEMBER since 3/23/07
My Lowrance HDS 10 flickers off and on when I start my E-Tec 135 HO motor. Connected to brand new starting battery fully charged. Any ideas to prevent this appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/28/15 @ 6:17 AM
.Pan Handler.
.Pan Handler.
USER since 5/8/08
I have the same issue as I installed new larger electronics last season, screen flickers on and off and shuts down every time I crank the motor. Still running a size 24 cranking battery but looking to buy a size 27 ASAP. Anyone have a group 27 cranking battery they would recommend?

Post Your Comment
5/27/15 @ 5:31 PM
Brody McWilliams
BMac_Fishing
USER since 5/7/15
Did you solve your problem?

Fish Indy Guide and Electronics Service
(317) 750-1580
Post Your Comment
5/6/15 @ 7:56 PM
#1laker
#1laker
MEMBER since 3/23/07
Thanks for the input, I've decided to add another battery to power all my 12 volt needs except the bilge pump I left on the starting battery. Also added an onboard charger to charge the battery after use.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 8:53 AM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
The problem is caused by the extremely high starting current draw of your E-tec, and the lack of adequate energy storage built into the HDS units.

If you only have room for one battery, it needs to be the largest you can fit, with the highest CCA you can find. The higher the Cold Crank Amps, the lower the impedance of the battery, and the less it will sag when a starter/pump load is placed on it.

If you have room, adding a second parallel battery will also likely cure the problem. In extreme cases, a diode isolator can be added between the batteries; this will absolutely cure the issue, and allow you to use a small, cheap 12V gel battery as the second battery for sonar only.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 1:52 AM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
Make sure your connections are tight!

Post Your Comment
4/19/15 @ 9:04 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Yes. Have a dedicated battery for the locator - or at least a battery for all accessories - and a dedicated starting battery.

I discovered that the hard way. HDS units suck an awfull-lot of juice.

Also,having the locator power off from anywhere except the unit itself is supposedly bad. Says so in the owners manual.

My starting battery powers my running lights and livewell pumpss and bilge pump and interior lights. I have a deep cycle battery for the locators (HDS 7 and HDS 5) Two more deep cycle batteries for the troller.

Post Your Comment