Lake of the Woods in August

2/14/16 @ 10:30 AM
ORIGINAL POST
4Lakes
4Lakes
USER since 6/22/01
I'm looking to take my son on a fishing trip this summer. Because of various family events and highshool sports, the only time we have to go is the last week in July or the first week in August. We're wanting to go someplace where we can catch primarily bass and walleye. One of the places I'm looking at is going to a resort (yes, we want to do a resort that has an American plan so we can just fish) on Lake of the Woods. How does that lake fish in early August? Andy 4Lakes
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
2/24/16 @ 4:45 AM
cnrwi
cnrwi
USER since 4/1/12
That is the time of year we go, end of July, first week of August. We use Borderview and have been happy. We are usually jigging or pulling harnesses. August is usually the start of downrigging with plugs.

Are you taking your own boat? The big lake can get rough. Most of the action is in the Oak Island area on the MN side. We usually take a charter one day. The other days we will fish closer to the resort if the weather doesn't permit. It's not often we get out on the big lake, 2-4' waves are common. We have our two sons with and a twenty plus mile boat ride through 4 footers is not my cup of tea.

If your resort is on the river, that stays fairly calm. If you intend to fish the main lake, staying on Northwest Angle would make a lot shorter boat ride.

Honestly, I would just take your son into the Canada side. IMO it's a better experience. The fishing is much more varied and calmer water. We crossed big water in 5-7' waves, which was pretty hairy, but when we got to the lodge we were fishing in 2' waves. Your boat rides to fishing will be much shorter as well once at the lodge. We went through Reel em Inn. The food was great. A guide will go out and any boat that wants to follow them can and they will show you where to fish. When you're comfortable you can go on your own. Good Luck

Post Your Comment
2/15/16 @ 4:02 PM
Xplorer
Xplorer
USER since 7/11/01
Much of the fishing is done with downriggers in the main basin up towards Garden island, or trolling deep running cranks in the 30' range in the same area. The walleyes are out in the mud chasing forage (emerald shiners) in the main basin in August. Wind can be a limiting factor as there is alot of water out there.

If you're looking for more "hands-on" fishing that time of year you may want to check out Rainy lake. You'll be rigging, jigging and pulling bottom bouncers with blades for eye's, and the smallie fishing can be good casting early and late and bobbering leeches during the day.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 1:58 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I have been their in the winter only but I can tell you that Cyrus Resort is very nice. They go all out to make your stay a good one. I have already rebooked for 2017

Post Your Comment