Keeping a daily limit (or more)

1/15/16 @ 1:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Keeping a limit can be fine but I agree I don't do it every single time out. I go by the possession limit, I don't eat more than that anyway and if I would run out then I go fishing again. Have to be reasonable, but the possession limit is really hard to enforce. That is the main reason we end up with more restrictive daily limits, its to slow down the possession limit violators. People are less likely to violate the daily limit because they could get caught that day on the water.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 107 Posts
2/3/16 @ 5:02 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
well he obviously has these voices in his head that just won't stop....

he knows these guys are out there every day, but hasn't checked their bucket, so doesn't know if they are illegal, but is sure they are...

then there is the guy that "cringes" at the thought of giving some fish to the elderly "as an excuse" to catch and keep fish....

I just keep reading, been in enough arguments over the years, someone else has to take over....

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 9:43 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
does anyone else think threads like this are started by anti hunting/fishing groups?

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 6:18 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
I also give some fish away to elderly friends who can't fish anymore.

You hear this one quite a bit from guys trying to justify the fish or game they take. I cringe every time I hear it.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 5:48 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
Most are locals and most camp on the same spot, plus they told me! You have choices, voluntary catch and release, close the lake to fishing for a couple years )there's a couple lakes in Canada that close for a year give the fish a break) all hard things to do. If you think the lakes being over fished ask for a reduction in limit. My opinion. Cool Cool

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 7:06 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Wally's working the system he was dealt. 2 or 3 times is OK, but just don't try and go for 4!!

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 10:42 AM
docy
docy
USER since 6/14/03
Walranger5:"...we take 2 to 3 limits, that's with 2 to 3 trips..." You and your granddaughter take your limit every outing but wish others shouldn't.

Walranger5:"But I know many guys are going there every day,..." How would you know that unless you were there every day? Or is your statement just based on here say and innuendo?

Walranger5:"Why not a limit for one so a guy has too take a kid if he wants more,..." What???

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 5:11 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
I believe these guys have legitimate concern, people abusing the limits, some violating some not. At first glance logic would dictate a lower limit, the legal way to restrict over fishing of whatever fish. But then there's tourism/ Tourists go where it's good fishing, as in good catching.(DNR,s Concern) When the good catching runs out they go somewhere else, and your left with what evers left.The tourists wont go to a place with low limits, they think it's not good fishing even tho it might be! Limits wont stop the guys that can't count, it will slow down the guys that make too many trips. So I would start there, if a lake has a problem. I take my grandaugther to a lake near here, it has 2 canals, one private one not. Bluegills and crappie come in there in spring, I have never been lucky enough for the crappie but the bluegill, we take 2 to 3 limits (that's with 2 to 3 trips) only way I can get her too stop, she loves catching fish, I also give some fish away to elderly friends who can't fish anymore. But I know many guys are going there every day,I didn't count what they had in the bucket, limits 25 I have no problem dropping it to 15. Why not a limit for one so a guy has too take a kid if he wants more, might even keep him honest and the Kid gets to go fishing? Some limits make it easy to violate, I'd start there! Cool

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 12:37 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
To refuse to take action on an actionable offense, provided you have actual hard evidence, simply because you do not like the DNR is highly irresponsible and, quite honestly, extremely petty.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 9:28 AM
docy
docy
USER since 6/14/03
Walranger5: "Sorry I hear things, I see things,..." Of coarse you do.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 6:03 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
Sorry I hear things, I see things, when the DNR stops Blatantly abusing the resource (protecting the alewives) maybe I'll look a little harder, but not before! This thread is about over limits too many limits, over fishing in general, sorry! Cool

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 107 Posts