SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Kayak Fishing Discussion/questions

3/16/11 @ 3:51 PM
INITIAL POST
RiverFreek
User since 8/26/05
Haven't seen this form on this site yet so hope it works and maybe get others interested. This is to discuss and ask questions about kayak fishing, gear, and set-ups.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 303 posts
5/21/18 @ 1:05 PM
ruff54
User since 6/5/17

Went to Laacke & Joys Paddlefest on Saturday. Man, those Native watercraft are sick little boats. I tried the Slayer 12XC (paddle only), the Titan 1.5, and the Slayer Propel 13.

The XC was a rock solid paddle only platform, but I'm starting to think if I'm going to spend the money, I better go all the way than regret it a year or 2 down the road. The Titan is so stable and the deck is nice and open for a pedal kayak, but it's so wide it feels difficult to paddle when you're not pedaling. The Slayer Propel was pretty effortless to move in any capacity, but the deck feels cluttered and its not quite as stable as the Titan. 

I was impressed overall.

5/4/18 @ 6:27 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I avoid the opening  weekend madness by taking an 8 ft creek boat out on a large trout creek that has very difficult access. There was even a high quality canoe sunk back there for a few years. Just wasn't worth the trouble winching it out and dragging thru the thick brush. I got a couple canoes anyway. Have caught 20 inch trout back there over the years.  On a "bad year" they re only 16 to 17 inch. browns

5/4/18 @ 1:17 PM
ruff54
User since 6/5/17
I'm planning on heading out to a smaller lake with less wake (poet & didn't know it) for opening weekend. I should be able to be out Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon. What's everybody else's plans? Be as discreet, vague, or specific as you like. 
5/3/18 @ 7:09 AM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Did the maiden voyage on Sunday with my daughter on Hunter's Lake to get the kinks out. Pretty cool to be able to glide thru 6 inches of water to some of the back channels and up the feeder stream to the road launch. Warmer water in channels held 100's of gills with some dandies mixed in; also saw dead pike, bass and gills laying on the bottom, maybe winter kill? Went out with one rod and one bait, but the gills wanted nothing to do with roadrunner.  Also spotted numerous bass including some big ones under several docks. I think I'm going to enjoy this. 

4/22/18 @ 6:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

C’mon, Chris, I’m a certified cheapskate. Those carbon fiber paddles are too pricey for me. Generally carbon fiber holds  up well strength wise, judging by the motocross parts I used to have. 

Congrats on the purchases, EZ. Good kayaks for the price

4/22/18 @ 1:11 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Perception Swifter DLX sit-ins yesterday at Dick's. I'll have a couple minor things to do to tweak mine for occasional fishing, but they fit the bill for being light, short at 9'6'', and affordable with the sale and good-guy discount.  Cruised the internet last night for anchoring ideas and came across the DIY anchor pole and trolley methods, both pretty slick. Thanks for the input fellas.

4/21/18 @ 11:44 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

There would be absolutely no advantage to using a single blade paddle or oar. I actually use a long yak paddle when canoeing too. Even the 17 ft. 

4/21/18 @ 7:33 AM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Another question for you seasoned yakkers.  Can you maintain reasonable forward progress and control of a yak when using just a single paddle, like a canoe paddle?  Might be applicable when exploring a narrow stream to get to a small lake, for instance.  And along those lines, are oar locks and small row-able paddles an option?

4/19/18 @ 9:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Yup, you will be wetter in a sit on top, especially if there are scupper holes. But you can buy plugs for the scupper holes. I have sit in kayaks for cold weather and rivers, and sit on top for warm weather lake fishing. If you only plan on kayaking in warm weather on lakes, sit on top is best for you. If you want to hit the water for three seasons and rivers with mild rapids, sit in is definitely better. Having both kinds is the way to go if you can afford that. I even use 8.5 ft creek boats for fishing remote trout rivers. Once on the Peshtigo, I accdently ran a class 4 stretch, nearly pooped my pants, lol

4/19/18 @ 5:39 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Was told by one salesman that with a sit-on, you can bank on getting wetter than a sit-in? Is that accurate? 

4/19/18 @ 2:40 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I can easily access the hatches on my Ascend FS128T, but my yak is very stable and not going to flip so I can move around or stand up if needed.  If you're fishing I'd recommend a sit on top kayak, but if your just going for joy rides a sit in would get the job done.  Sit on top are generally more expensive, but more comfortable, easier to get on, and more stable.  Sit in are generally lighter and quicker.  I'd take a sit on top any day of the week.

4/19/18 @ 6:48 AM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Recently sold a heavy canoe, and been researching casual fishing kayaks for a few weeks now, and started looking yesterday at Dunhams and Dicks.  Likely will use only on local lakes and rivers for fishing and joy rides with wife , but no hard core Big Pond fishing. We sat in a few and are starting to rule out the small cheapies (under $200), and inclined to get a pair of 10 footers; easy to carry and can haul in back of 6 foot truck bed. Here are  my main questions : 1. what are the pros and cons of the sit-in versus the sit-on kayaks? and 2.  Are the covered storage compartments readily accessible when you're on the water, or do you have to beach it to get into them?

I'm on the verge of over-load research and ready to narrow it down, find sales and pull the trigger.

4/17/18 @ 11:37 PM
Jeff H
User since 3/22/03

I have a Perception Pescador Pro 10 kayak. Ten foot sit on top. Perception has made quality kayaks for several decades and they are made in the USA. Great customer service too. Also comes in a twelve foot version.

If anyone needs a "bed extender" for their pickup truck let me know. I have a brand new one, never used. Hartland Oconomowoc area. 

4/17/18 @ 10:17 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

I plan on getting out a lot this year. Last year was good for nothing. Busy, new job, etc. I will make sure to post here if I can remember to if anybody wants to tag along. 

4/17/18 @ 6:52 PM
ruff54
User since 6/5/17

Last summer I was off during the week all of June and July. The munchkin puts a wrench in that works, but she brings me enough joy and cuteness that I forgive her. Hopefully I’ll still make it out a good amount this summer.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 303 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE