Kayak Fishing Discussion/questions

3/16/11 @ 3:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RiverFreek
RiverFreek
USER since 8/26/05
Haven't seen this form on this site yet so hope it works and maybe get others interested. This is to discuss and ask questions about kayak fishing, gear, and set-ups.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 303 Posts
5/21/18 @ 1:05 PM
ruff54
ruff54
USER since 6/5/17

Went to Laacke & Joys Paddlefest on Saturday. Man, those Native watercraft are sick little boats. I tried the Slayer 12XC (paddle only), the Titan 1.5, and the Slayer Propel 13.

The XC was a rock solid paddle only platform, but I'm starting to think if I'm going to spend the money, I better go all the way than regret it a year or 2 down the road. The Titan is so stable and the deck is nice and open for a pedal kayak, but it's so wide it feels difficult to paddle when you're not pedaling. The Slayer Propel was pretty effortless to move in any capacity, but the deck feels cluttered and its not quite as stable as the Titan. 

I was impressed overall.

Post Your Comment
5/4/18 @ 11:05 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Opening day? I used to be at the launch by 11:45pm the Friday before and fish until after sun-up.

Now it's Friday fish fry with friends,then bed. Tomorrow I'll be climbing and rigging down a large birch over a house with the customer as groundsman.. If there's time I'll be cutting,dragging and chipping a couple medium Norway maples and an average-sized crab all by my lonesome.

Post Your Comment
5/4/18 @ 6:27 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

I avoid the opening  weekend madness by taking an 8 ft creek boat out on a large trout creek that has very difficult access. There was even a high quality canoe sunk back there for a few years. Just wasn't worth the trouble winching it out and dragging thru the thick brush. I got a couple canoes anyway. Have caught 20 inch trout back there over the years.  On a "bad year" they re only 16 to 17 inch. browns

Post Your Comment
5/4/18 @ 1:17 PM
ruff54
ruff54
USER since 6/5/17
I'm planning on heading out to a smaller lake with less wake (poet & didn't know it) for opening weekend. I should be able to be out Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon. What's everybody else's plans? Be as discreet, vague, or specific as you like. 

Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 7:09 AM
EZ
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01

Did the maiden voyage on Sunday with my daughter on Hunter's Lake to get the kinks out. Pretty cool to be able to glide thru 6 inches of water to some of the back channels and up the feeder stream to the road launch. Warmer water in channels held 100's of gills with some dandies mixed in; also saw dead pike, bass and gills laying on the bottom, maybe winter kill? Went out with one rod and one bait, but the gills wanted nothing to do with roadrunner.  Also spotted numerous bass including some big ones under several docks. I think I'm going to enjoy this. 

Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 10:14 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Congrats Ed....I haven’t put an anchor trolly on my new Hobie yet and sure missed it today while fishing the nags channels and St John’s Bay....don’t want to install until I’m sure about an outrigger and motor.

i worried about pushing with the kayak paddle in skinny water with bedrock bottom like most of the Everglades consists of.

I’m loving the mirage drive. Sooo quiet and now that I’ve gotten those muscles toned,it’s easy to cover distance.

Edited on 4/22/18 10:20 PM
Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 6:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

C’mon, Chris, I’m a certified cheapskate. Those carbon fiber paddles are too pricey for me. Generally carbon fiber holds  up well strength wise, judging by the motocross parts I used to have. 

Congrats on the purchases, EZ. Good kayaks for the price

Edited on 4/22/18 8:00 PM
Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 1:11 PM
EZ
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Perception Swifter DLX sit-ins yesterday at Dick's. I'll have a couple minor things to do to tweak mine for occasional fishing, but they fit the bill for being light, short at 9'6'', and affordable with the sale and good-guy discount.  Cruised the internet last night for anchoring ideas and came across the DIY anchor pole and trolley methods, both pretty slick. Thanks for the input fellas.

Post Your Comment
4/22/18 @ 12:31 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Jay - do carbon fiber yak paddles hold up to a lot of pushing?

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 11:44 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

There would be absolutely no advantage to using a single blade paddle or oar. I actually use a long yak paddle when canoeing too. Even the 17 ft. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 303 Posts