Jig making

2/11/18 @ 6:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Who all does this? I bought a teardrop jig mold online and started pouring and painting my own jigs this weekend. So far I’ve got about 100 jigs done. Waiting on the 2/0 and number one hooks to come so I can make some of the smaller sizes. Got the bigger ones covered this weekend. I thought it was fun and it will be nice catching fish on something I made. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 36 Posts
2/25/18 @ 7:14 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

Big Shane,  Thanks  For the info on the jugs. when I was younger I used to be on the Mississippi river all the time over by lynxville.  Best river system to fish in my book. But now I am learning the Castle Rock and up to  Petenwell Dam. Good luck!!!

Post Your Comment
2/25/18 @ 5:41 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I go with the teardrops because the shape is great for getting down in river current compared to the roundball heads. I fish rivers 95% of the time. The keeper wire holds the plastic on very well. It's one of do-it molds best sellers. I'll be using them on Dubuque rigs tomorrow on the Mississippi.

Edited on 2/25/18 5:45 PM
Post Your Comment
2/25/18 @ 5:25 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

I think I will be getting a new jig mold, Those teardrops are nice how do they perform in the water? Looks like with there shape you would have less snags. How good does that hook hold on plastics?

Edited on 2/25/18 5:28 PM
Post Your Comment
2/25/18 @ 4:54 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I’ve been getting my jig hooks on eBay. This is the teardrop jig. 

Post Your Comment
2/25/18 @ 2:41 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

I just  finished making some jigs myself.  I used up last year's left over hooks. I just recently moved up from Milwaukee, Is there a store in the area that you can buy jig hooks? I allso build fishing rods it helps me get through the Winter. 

Edited on 2/25/18 2:46 PM
Post Your Comment
2/25/18 @ 1:51 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Is a 'teardrop" jig like this minnow head mold? I need a little work with dremel tool skills, but I altered the mold to fit a bigger sized hook for plastics like mentioned earlier. Another trick is to bend the eye of the jig hook out and forward to fit better. I powder coat too heating the head with a flame and dipping it. I finish them up in my toaster oven to really make that finish shiny. All this to get a plastic bait rigged for the right drop and action that even short biters get hooked on.

Post Your Comment
2/22/18 @ 11:25 AM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

Didn't hear that about Reinke's, but I figured it would happen sooner than later.  I also like big hooks on smaller heads,  I've taken my Dremel and modified my molds to accommodate 3/0 hold for big shad bodies.  I usually set up a fan to exhaust the fumes, but your right, it's not too healthy.....

Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 6:35 PM
Slab Daddy
Slab Daddy
USER since 6/16/14

I don't pour jigs but I tie a lot of my own Crappie jigs, it really is great to catch fish on something you made. I spend a lot of time in the winter tying jigs and experimenting with different colors.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 6:05 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Ok I have 250 jigs made from 1/8 up to 1/2. Should be good to go for a couple years. 

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 7:20 PM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

I used to make 1000’s of jigs a winter as we lost a lot in Canada and the Wisconsin river.  My friend and I would  make enough for our friends and the outfitter we used.  I decided the lead fumes killed enough brain cells so I sold all of my supplies.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 36 Posts