Jig making

2/11/18 @ 7:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Who all does this? I bought a teardrop jig mold online and started pouring and painting my own jigs this weekend. So far I’ve got about 100 jigs done. Waiting on the 2/0 and number one hooks to come so I can make some of the smaller sizes. Got the bigger ones covered this weekend. I thought it was fun and it will be nice catching fish on something I made. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 36 Posts
3/8/18 @ 2:12 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10

I have been making those jigs since that mold was available,very similar to the H20 style jig.But in the few past years,I quit using Eagle Claw and Mustad hooks,switched to Gamakatsu hooks and have not looked back.No more dicking around sharpening points and tossing jigs with rolled points.

I also modified a pair of pliers to make the plastics keeper,a lot cheaper than buying pre-made.

Post Your Comment
2/27/18 @ 4:58 PM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
USER since 6/17/03

Been making my own jigs for over 30 yrs. Buy all my supplies at Reinkes in milwaukee. Closing soon though.  Stopped this year have more jigs than I could ever use. Gave all my stuff to fishing buddy Plmlk. Maybe he will actually catch some fish this year. Is nice to catch fish on something you have created yourself. I made them from 64th oz all the way to half oz. Mostly. Fun but very time consuming.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:48 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Check pm Westfield 

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:42 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

Glad you had a good day fishing!  That's funny 40 boats. years ago I used to go to that river to get away from all the boat traffic. Oh Well times change. 

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:32 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
Caught about 25 walleyes and saugers below Genoa. Mostly too small but nice to be back out in the boat. Probably about 40 boats out there.  

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 7:18 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

Thanks Big Shane.  2 years ago I set up my boat with a kicker and a I troll system.  I will keep at it and see what happens.  Once I find a retired fishing partner in my area I plan on expanding my horizons to Petenwell Lake in next couple years. They seem to be doing better in that part of the lake. For me half the fun is trying to find them anyway.  One more thing how did you do on the Mississippi river to day?

Edited on 2/26/18 7:22 PM
Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 6:50 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Westfield I do have a couple good spots downriver from the dam where I can occasionally get a legal limit. Mostly been fishing the river at la Crosse the last couple years though.  Sometimes below the Pete dam you just gotta grind it out.  Plastics in the spring and cranks in the summer. 

Edited on 2/26/18 6:52 PM
Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 6:34 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

If you read down it was Castle Rock we were talking about. And there is a slot.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 6:08 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Westfield - "slot" fish on the Rock?

Ain't no such animal.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 6:21 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
USER since 10/9/16

Do you ever get any keeper walleye on the Rock? All I have been getting is slot fish or 14 1/2" fish. It is fun though I do not keep  a lot of fish anyway.  I'm starting to find some productive holes down river.  It takes time to learn a river and eventually I will.

Edited on 2/26/18 6:42 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 36 Posts