Jig making

2/11/18 @ 6:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Who all does this? I bought a teardrop jig mold online and started pouring and painting my own jigs this weekend. So far I’ve got about 100 jigs done. Waiting on the 2/0 and number one hooks to come so I can make some of the smaller sizes. Got the bigger ones covered this weekend. I thought it was fun and it will be nice catching fish on something I made. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts
4/16/18 @ 6:17 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I'm sure your right Shane, but with weather last weekend, it was a fun way to pass the time!

Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 9:56 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I honestly wouldn’t worry about 2 tone paint jobs. I’ve caught plenty of walleyes on unpainted jigs. 

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 8:15 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Yeah, still putting that part together Shane!  Not the best paint jobs - but I doubt the fish mind.  Seems like 6 or 7 seconds is all a guy needs.  

The two tone paint lines are not as straight as I’d like - but still fun to putz around...

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 8:07 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

One thing I learned is to not get the jig too hot with the heat gun.  Just takes a little heat.  

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 7:40 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Et, absolutely interested.  We have to meet up somewhere after work and have a cocktail.  I know your retired - I’m not quite there yet! 

Shane, Gill left me a bunch of spinners - have to figure out what to do with them.  Definitely a fun hobby.  Helps pass the time when we can’t be on the water like this weekend!  This weather (I mean Global Cooling) is nutz!  

Still working on getting the painting down!  Think my bud and I made around 150 last night. 

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 6:51 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Nice work plm. I’ve caught plenty of Mississippi River walleye on my jigs this spring. Quite rewarding. Next project will be blade baits. 

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 6:33 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
USER since 7/12/01

Plm,

I have around 8 small ingots left from my jig making days if your interested PM me.

Post Your Comment
4/14/18 @ 2:28 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Gill retired and threw in his jig making hat - and gave me his molds and powder paint (thanks Gill) Just bought a new pot and started making some jigs. 

Certainly a nice hobby this weekend given the crummy weather!

Post Your Comment
3/9/18 @ 11:06 AM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03

Most cases the barbs on the wire keepers are to long (#400 @ I/8"). By cutting the barb in half with a side cutter they do a great job of holding small plastics on jigs 1/16oz and under without tearing them up. I would imagine the same thing would hold true on the heavier jigs and the large size wire keepers. 

Post Your Comment
3/8/18 @ 7:32 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I made the first 100 with the keeper wire but after they were gone I just made them without it. In my opinion it rips up your plastics too much. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts