Humminbird Helix 5

2/1/15 @ 7:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
iceman8
iceman8
USER since 2/17/06
I am looking at buying a new depth finder for my boat and the Humminbird Helix 5 SI sonar/GPS combo caught my eye. It has side imagining and down imaging. My question is does anyone have any experience or ever played around with one?? I know they are brand new but just curious if anyone got to try one out before they were released to the general public?? I see it has a micro SD card slot, does it also have a regular SD card slot also?? Guess I might have to take a ride to Cabelas and see if they have one on display or would be willing to take one out of the box so I can take a better look at it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
10/27/15 @ 8:40 PM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I was able to use my Helix a bit at the end of last ice season. I really like the 2d and 2d zoom split screen when I fish and of course the GPS for finding spots. Great bang for the buck.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 8:36 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
I just got the xi 9 20 ice ducer for my helix side image unit so I can ice fish with it and the case . Can't use side imaging but can use flasher mode and gps and all the other features. Was 90 bucks for transducer and 130 for the ice case for it . Now I can use my investment in the winter also . Plus I got my usual ice 35 for back up

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 11:51 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I have recently made the switch frmo Lowrance to Bird, I am running Onyx's on my boat, but been looking at the Helix 5 ice and the 7 for my sons boat. I am impressed with these units.

Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 9:11 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
MEMBER since 3/31/16
I have now spent a lot of time with my Helix and it is a solid unit for the money. Humminbird has changed the game by making the top end technology that is side imaging affordable to everyone.

I am very excited now that the Helix 7 is out and the bigger units are on the way.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
7/6/15 @ 4:25 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
The helix 7's are now out in case anybody is interested.

Post Your Comment
7/5/15 @ 5:40 PM
Brody McWilliams
BMac_Fishing
USER since 5/7/15
Helix units are very solid units for the money, I'd say I wouldn't hesitate if that is what you are looking at.

Fish Indy Guide and Electronics Service
(317) 750-1580
Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 7:17 AM
oldwalt
oldwalt
USER since 8/9/01
Fleet Farm has these on sale this week for $ 269.99 Smile

Post Your Comment
3/29/15 @ 4:49 PM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I'm bummed that I spent the money on the Navionics Hot maps Premium. A very knowledgeable gentleman at the Hoffman Estates Cabela's explained why the premium chip only shows 5' contours while the mobil app shows 1' contours. the app has the software of the PLATNIUM. Even contacting Navionics failed to reveal this. So, it looks like the LakeMaster Plus would definitely be the better way to go. Another $150... Crying Crying Crying

Edited on 3/30/15 8:32 AM
Post Your Comment
3/29/15 @ 3:38 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
there is also a new lakemaster plus card that actually has satellite image of lake with contours overlaying a real picture with weed beds, shallow rock piles, docks , downed trees , and feeder streams.......1000 time better than navionics . lowrance is falling way behind and way over priced. fleetfarm is only place that I found that had the plus maps so I guess all the major sporting good stores are following in lowrance's foot steps of being way behind lately . and the kids that work at cabelas,scheels,dicks,gander are all idiots . as usual I knew more about the new products than they did with just a little bit of reading

Post Your Comment
3/29/15 @ 1:52 AM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
Fleet farm . I just bought one for 489.00 helix si And they have them on display . Appleton and oshkosh

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts